Volta set out to accelerate the adoption of the electric vehicle, by building the most utilized EV charging network in the US – offering charging to drivers wherever they live, shop, work, and play. Our stations double as a content and media platform, increasing the value of real estate by engaging new audiences and telling high impact stories using sustainable technology. Volta's award-winning charging stations benefit brands, consumers, and real-estate locations by providing valuable advertising space to businesses and convenient charging to drivers. Strategically located in places consumers already visit, Volta's chargers are the most used EV charging stations in the United States. And we’re just getting started.
The Opportunity at Volta Charging
We are seeking an Associate to be one of the early Team Members of a new Corporate Strategy & Development team at Volta. The Corporate Strategy & Development team works closely with senior leaders across Volta to help accelerate the company’s mission through partnerships, M&A and investments, and other strategic initiatives. The Corporate Strategy & Development team is responsible for developing new business opportunities through both organic and inorganic growth, including originating new business ventures and partnerships, as well as negotiating, structuring, and executing impactful acquisitions. Over time, the selected candidate will assist in supporting our business units and senior leadership by conducting industry research, valuation analyses, due diligence, creation of strategic recommendations, acquisition term sheet and contract negotiations, and both internal and external relationship building, including VCs and bankers throughout the electric mobility space and beyond.
- Develop a strong understanding of the Volta company strategy and business model, as well as begin to educate oneself on the larger core and peripheral industries
- Build cross functional relationships with Volta’s various business unit leaders and begin to understand their respective product and program strategies
- Dive into existing Corporate Development work streams, supporting senior team members on a portfolio of work and delivering meaningful results over the period
- Conduct market research and perform ad-hoc qualitative and quantitative analysis for strategic planning, partnerships, and business development efforts
- Begin to evaluate white space business, product, and partnership opportunities in core and adjacent markets and begin to build the landscaping and strategic roadmap for target industries and opportunities
- Mastery of the Volta company strategy and business model with a deep understanding of the opportunity and risk of Volta’s current and future platform and product, customer, and geographic footprint
- Developing a strong understanding of external market dynamics including robust network of professional connections in the space
- Completing evaluation of white space business, product, and partnership opportunities in core and adjacent markets, including full landscaping of competitive environment and strategic roadmap for target industries and opportunities
- Assisting in developing a deal pipeline, including outreach to and sourcing of new opportunities
- Assisting on deal negotiation, due diligence and integration efforts for acquisitions, including coordinating cross-functional product, engineering, and functional teams to evaluate targets
- Measurable enterprise value accretion from personal portfolio of work, including “build, buy, partner” opportunities brought from origination to execution
What you bring to Volta Charging
- 6+ Experience in investment banking, private equity, corporate strategy, business development, strategic finance/ FP&A, management consulting, and/or other related fields
- Strong analytical and financial modeling skills (ability to construct business cases with complex operating, financial, and valuation models to evaluate transaction economics and perform sensitivity analysis)
- You enjoy diving into the data, thinking from first principles, and deliver the best results
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and the ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, concise manner to senior level executives
- A low ego individual with a proven track record of working well across teams and with external partners to solve hard problems
- An understanding of markets, competition, and how to leverage core competencies to create defensible strategies
- Passion for technology and the electric mobility / energy/ utility space, and analyzing trends / dynamics within them
- A self-starter mentality with the ability to work autonomously to manage and drive projects to completion
As a Volta team, we are building an inclusive culture where everyone can feel safe to share their thoughts and opinions without judgment; a team where representation and development matter, and differences are valued. We strive to challenge the status quo, go beyond the numbers, and put in the work needed for Volta to be a leader in diversity, equity, inclusion, and belonging.