Volastra Therapeutics, Inc. is a biotechnology company based in New York City, formed from the laboratory of Dr. Lewis Cantley, along with Drs. Olivier Elemento and Samuel Bakhoum. Volastra is dedicated to the discovery and development of treatments for patients with cancer. The Company’s therapies will target novel pathways and apply insights gained from its scientific founders into chromosomal instability (CIN) and its clear association with the formation, progression, and maintenance of disease. Leveraging these insights we will identify and quickly validate novel therapies to shift the treatment paradigm in the toughest to treat cancers.
Volastra has raised $45M in funding to date. This includes capital from top US and European venture firms, including Vida, Polaris, Droia, and Arch. Current funding will look to advance a lead program into the clinic, advance another program to IND-enabling studies and strengthen the platform to identify a broader pipeline of candidates. The company has a world class scientific advisory board including two Nobel Laureates as well as a highly experienced senior leadership team. This includes the CEO, CSO and senior leaders with expertise in chemistry, biochemistry, biology, immunology, and operations.
In addition, Volastra has recently announced a multi-year up to $1.1B drug discovery collaboration with Bristol Myers Squibb. This high visibility and important collaboration will leverage Volastra’s proprietary CINtech platform, to identify CIN-related, synthetic lethal targets as drug candidates. The success of this collaboration will be critical to the growth of the company.
The company operates out of 15,000 square feet of office and state-of-the-art laboratory space in West Harlem, New York City, within easy traveling distance of Columbia, Cornell, Memorial Sloan Kettering, and all most other areas of the city and New Jersey.
Please visit www.volastratx.com for more information
This is an exciting role that provides broad exposure to a number of interesting disciplines, in a fast-growing biotech environment The role of Associate Director, Business Development & Commercial will work closely with the scientific team to achieve the company’s scientific and strategic plan. The Associate Director will have responsibility for managing all alliances and ensuring the scientific team is delivering on key milestones, supporting the build out of the commercial strategy, managing KOL relationships, working on BD deals including licensing activity, partnerships, and early research stage collaborations with academic centers.
Our ideal candidate is an independent thinker with excellent communication skills has prior experience with alliance management and/ or partnerships between biotech and big pharma. The candidate should also have prior commercial assessment experience in the oncology space and a knowledge or desire to learn about various BD deal transaction types and be part of the growth of a cutting-edge biotech company. The key responsibilities will include:
- Alliance Management: Managing the alliance for Volastra’s ongoing research collaboration with BMS
- BD Deals: Negotiating and executing MTAs/ SRAs as well as early research collaborations with academic centers; contribute to deal teams on larger transactions
- Commercial Strategy: Managing network of Key Opinion Leaders (KOLs) and helping to evolve KOL strategy as company evolves and helping to map out the life cycle plans for pipeline programs
- Additional Projects: Given the size and rapid growth of the organization there is also the opportunity to be involved in additional activities on an ad hoc basis to be exposed to the business side of biotech
- At least three years of relevant industry experience
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to take ownership of defined deliverables
- Oncology experience with scientific curiosity and a desire to learn new skills
- Ability to leverage network and come up with creative solutions to get things done
- Drive to deliver meaningful treatments to patients
- Strong Powerpoint skills/ ability to communicate with slides
- Proficiency in excel and basic forecast modeling abilities
Preferred Skills (but not required)
- Alliance management
- Experience in business development at either a pharma company or biotech
- Minimum of Bachelors degree, masters or MBA preferred