Volastra Therapeutics, Inc. is a biotechnology company based in New York City, formed from the laboratory of Dr. Lewis Cantley, along with Drs. Olivier Elemento and Samuel Bakhoum. Volastra is dedicated to the discovery and development of treatments for patients with cancer. The Company’s therapies will target novel pathways and apply insights gained from its scientific founders into chromosomal instability (CIN) and its clear association with the formation, progression, and maintenance of disease. Leveraging these insights we will identify and quickly validate novel therapies to shift the treatment paradigm in the toughest to treat cancers.
Volastra has raised $45M in funding from top US and European venture firms, including Vida, Polaris, Droia, and Arch. Current funding will look to advance a lead program into the clinic, advance another program to IND-enabling studies and strengthen the platform to identify a broader pipeline of candidates. The company has a world class scientific advisory board including two Nobel Laureates as well as a highly experienced senior leadership team. This includes the CEO, CSO and senior leaders with expertise in chemistry, biochemistry, biology, immunology, and operations.
The company operates out of 15,000 square feet of office and state-of-the-art laboratory space in West Harlem, New York City, within easy traveling distance of Columbia, Cornell, Memorial Sloan Kettering, and all most other areas of the city and New Jersey.
Please visit www.volastratx.com for more information
The Senior Scientist, Data Science will work closely with the Head of Data Science and the entire scientific team to achieve the company’s integrative data-centric approach to identify novel targets and develop therapeutics to treat chromosomally unstable cancers. If you enjoy the prospect of improving the lives of cancer patients using advanced computational methods, this may the role for you. Remote work may be considered.
In your first 6 months, you will have the opportunity to materially impact the Volastra pipeline designing and executing novel analyses informing target selection and validation using integrative methods on both proprietary and external datasets (RNA-Seq, Whole Exome Sequencing, etc.). You will have the opportunity to explore novel statistical inference techniques, which could include multi-modality data fusion (genomic, imaging, and clinical data), machine learning, and dynamic systems modeling. Furthermore, this role will have the opportunity to accelerate our clinical development work with novel biomarker discovery, patient selection, and clinical trial design based off both proprietary and publicly available datasets. While you need not have a background in biology or life sciences, you will have the opportunity to apply your data science skillset to materially improving the lives of patients with novel therapeutics.
You will also:
- Work collaboratively with the scientific team including biologists, computational biologists, bioinformaticians, data scientists, and chemists to answer complex questions in a data-driven manner
- Contribute to building a team and culture that embraces scientific excellence and integrity with a sense of collaboration internally and externally.
- Clearly communicate key findings to members of the scientific and leadership teams.
- Provide mentorship to less experienced staff, including fostering development opportunities for the entire team.
- A graduate degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, bioengineering, or other relevant quantitative discipline (statistics, mathematics, engineering, etc.)
- 5+ years of previous work experience in data science-related roles
- A deep understanding of statistical analysis methods, including inference and prediction, with past successful experiences employing such methods
- Scientific or quantitative computing experience (Python or R), plus bash scripting
- Familiarity with high-performance cluster and cloud computing (aws, Azure, spark)
- An understanding of best practices in reproducible scientific computing (git, documentation, object oriented programming, etc.)
- Experience working with multidisciplinary teams and leveraging large public datasets to facilitate novel target discovery and refine patient selection strategies.
- Past experience in the life science or pharmaceutical industry a plus.
- The ability to tell a story with data (analysis, data visualization)
Volastra is a lean team of dedicated individuals working to advance therapies for patients with cancer. As such, the Scientist will from time to time have the opportunity to work on projects and take on responsibilities that may fall outside his/her scope of work.