Volastra Therapeutics, Inc. is a biotechnology company based in New York City, formed from the laboratory of Dr. Lewis Cantley, along with Drs. Olivier Elemento and Samuel Bakhoum. Volastra is dedicated to the discovery and development of treatments for patients with cancer. The Company’s therapies will target novel pathways and apply insights gained from its scientific founders into chromosomal instability (CIN) and its clear association with the formation, progression, and maintenance of disease. Leveraging these insights we will identify and quickly validate novel therapies to shift the treatment paradigm in the toughest to treat cancers.
Volastra has raised $45M in funding from top US and European venture firms, including Vida, Polaris, Droia, and Arch. Current funding will look to advance a lead program into the clinic, advance another program to IND-enabling studies and strengthen the platform to identify a broader pipeline of candidates. The company has a world class scientific advisory board including two Nobel Laureates as well as a highly experienced senior leadership team. This includes the CEO, CSO and senior leaders with expertise in chemistry, biochemistry, biology, immunology, and operations.
The company operates out of 15,000 square feet of office and state-of-the-art laboratory space in West Harlem, New York City, within easy traveling distance of Columbia, Cornell, Memorial Sloan Kettering, and all most other areas of the city and New Jersey.
Please visit www.volastratx.com for more information
The Bioinformaticist, Senior RA/Scientist I will work closely with the Head of Data Science and the entire scientific team to achieve the company’s integrative data-centric approach to understand chromosomal instability in metastatic cancers. If you enjoy the prospect of improving the lives of cancer patients using advanced computational methods, this may the role for you.
In your first 6 months, you will have the opportunity to materially impact the Volastra pipeline with novel analyses informing target selection and validation using integrative analysis of both proprietary and external datasets (RNA-Seq, Whole Exome Sequencing, etc.). You’ll build unique data pipelines, as well as analyze their outputs for our project teams. You’ll be given the chance to explore novel statistical inference techniques, which could include multi-modality data fusion (genomic, imaging, and clinical data), machine learning, and dynamic systems modeling.
You will also:
- Work collaboratively with the scientific team including biologists, computational biologists, data scientists, and chemists to answer complex questions in a data-driven manner.
- Contribute to building a culture that embraces scientific excellence and integrity with a sense of collaboration internally and externally.
- Clearly communicate key findings to members of the scientific and leadership teams.
- A deep understanding of statistical analysis methods, data engineering, and genomic pipeline development
- Scientific or quantitative computing experience (Python or R), plus Unix
- Familiarity with high-performance cluster and cloud computing (aws, Azure) and reproducible scientific workflow managers such as NextFlow, CWL, git, etc..
- Familiarity with next generation sequencing dataset and public datasets such as TCGA,GTEX, NCBI GEO
- The ability to tell a story with data (analysis, data visualization)
- An understanding of best practices in reproducible scientific computing (git, documentation, object oriented programming, etc.)
- 3+ years of previous work experience in bioinformatics-related roles
- Knowledge of common bioinformatics software and toolkits to process and analyze genomic datasets such as samtools, GATK, STAR
- Prior experience in cancer biology is preferred
- (Preferred) A graduate degree in bioinformatics, computational biology, bioengineering, or other relevant quantitative discipline (statistics, mathematics, engineering, etc.)
Volastra is a lean team of dedicated individuals working to advance therapies for patients with cancer. As such, the Scientist will from time to time have the opportunity to work on projects and take on responsibilities that may fall outside his/her scope of work.