Vizgen, Inc. – Cambridge, MA
Vizgen is a rapidly growing company developing the next generation of spatially resolved genomic profiling tools that enable researchers to gain new insight into the biological systems that underlie human health and disease. The company's groundbreaking MERFISH spatial transcriptomics technology images RNA molecules with high accuracy and unrivaled detection efficiency at subcellular resolution. MERFISH provides transformative insight into a wide range of tissue-scale basic research and translational medicine in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious disease, developmental biology, and regenerative medicine. For more information, go to www.vizgen.com
Vizgen Inc. is seeking a talented, driven, and experienced individual to join the Hardware Engineering team to prototype, design, and test innovative and robust fluidics systems/components for MERSCOPE platform products which include instrument fluidics, flow cell and reagent cartridge. The ideal candidate is someone who has extensive experience in the development of complex micro/milli fluidic systems for optics-based laboratory instruments. The individual should have extensive experience interfacing with multi-disciplinary development teams and collaborating closely with mechanical, optics along with a cross-functional team from biochemistry, surface chemistry, and software.
- Drive the continuous development and optimization of MERSCOPE-related fluidic systems and components in terms of both reliability and functionality.
- Lead the innovation and development of new micro/milli fluidic modules (e.g., flow chamber, cartridge, and peripheral fluidic control systems) that integrate microfluidics, chemistry, heat transfer, mechanics, and high-resolution optics.
- Collaborate with hardware and system engineers to map product requirements into fluidics requirements and translate them into module/component level subsystem design, prototyping, and instrumentation integration.
- Conceive and perform experimental testing and evaluation of current and next-generation fluidics subsystems/components.
- Serve as fluidic subject matter expert, not only in product development but also supporting internal and field fluidics failure troubleshooting and analysis to determine the root cause and related CAPA activities.
- Manage external vendors on custom-designed fluidic components, including but not limited to part co-development and QC procedure establishment to ensure the highest quality.
- Deploy industry-standard TRL methodology and PDR and CDR product development to meet milestones related to the fluidics subsystems.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Bachelor's degree in Mechanical Engineering preferred or equivalent engineering, and a minimum of 5 years of related experience is required.
- Or a master’s degree or the equivalent in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent engineering minimum 3 years of experience
- Or Ph.D. in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent engineering and a minimum of one year of industry experience.
- An equivalent combination of education and experience may be accepted in lieu of any required degree.
- 3– 4 years of work experience in quality control, preferably in the life sciences and/or biotech industry.
- Demonstrated experience in developing and prototyping fluidics systems and consumables for optics-based biological applications. Direct industry experience in developing and launching micro/milli fluidic commercial products for high-resolution optics applications in the biotechnology field is a plus.
- Ability to drive a design from ideation to prototyping, from feasibility to instrumentation system integration, with thorough attention to detail.
- Solid theoretical and experimental understanding of micro- and meso-scale mass/fluidic transport phenomena, including coupled convection, diffusion, and reaction.
- Direct experience dealing with pathology tissue samples and thin cover glass is preferred.
- Experience with CFD simulation tools (e.g., COMSOL, Solidworks Flow Simulation) and basic programming skills for both data analysis and breadboard electronic control (e.g., Python, Arduino).
- Demonstrated behaviors of a systems thinker with the ability to select and apply appropriate systems thinking skills to solve problems and implement constructive change.
If you aren't sure you meet every requirement but are excited about what you read here, please consider applying! We believe diversity drives innovation. Above all, we're looking for the right person with skills and talent to grow the company together all while enriching your professional and scientific experience.
We offer a competitive salary, meaningful stock ownership, 401K, health benefits, a great work environment and the opportunity to enter a high-growth startup company. We are recruiting candidates who have demonstrated leadership and excellence throughout their careers and are excited by the prospect of tackling challenging technical problems.
This position may be subject to pre-employment checks, including driving history check, drug screening and a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. All pre-employment checks will comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Vizgen affords equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, age, military status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression or gender unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification.