As a Process Development Lead, you will focus on process improvements for and integration and scale-up of cell and tissue processes. You will aid in process characterization and control to transfer robust and efficient bioprocesses to the manufacturing team. Using your background in process development and your experience scaling from bench-scale platforms to production-scale systems, you will enable VitroLabs to increase process efficiency, reduce costs, and ultimately achieve large-scale production. You will report to the Director of Bioprocess Engineering,
You are passionate about innovation and want to apply your curiosity to process design and creating the most efficient and cost-effective processes for VitroLabs. You enjoy leading a team and mentoring others and you encourage growth and learning for everyone. You take a collaborative, data-driven approach to work and are eager to work in a startup environment and contribute to our mission.
- Establish and optimize bioprocess efficiency and cost by evaluating and operating bioreactors, high throughput platforms, and perfusion systems
- Identify and investigate critical process parameters and design experiments to establish process ranges
- Oversee and coordinate with vendors for new materials or technologies to support innovative process integration and scale-up of cell and tissue bioprocesses
- Analyze and interpret experimental results and present your findings to cross-functional teams; suggest process improvements and author recommendations, SOPs, and reports
- Collaborate with our Pilot Manufacturing and Tissue Engineering & Product Development groups to ensure a seamless technology, data, and knowledge transfer
- Hire, manage, and mentor members of the process development team to both achieve current goals as well as to build future capabilities needed as VitroLabs scales our manufacturing
- Aid in the development of cell-based assays and perform cell, media, and raw material screening to enable successful integration of new materials into the bioprocess.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Background in biochemistry or chemical engineering with 5 or more* years of experience working on process improvement, integration, and scale-up
- Experience with bioreactor process scale-up into a manufacturing setting, aseptic handling and operation of mammalian cell culture is a plus
- Direct experience in Design Of Experiments (DOE), high throughput benchtop system operation, and statistical data analysis
- Experience drafting SOPs, Batch records, study reports, and protocols
- Knowledge of Process Analytical techniques and cell-based assays
- Hands-on operational knowledge of large-scale unit operations
- Strong engineering skills, including mass transfer and process analytics
- Experience organizing and presenting data internally and maintaining clear, accurate, and complete documentation of experimental data and procedures.
*At VitroLabs, we understand that those who are courageous enough to make the bold moves and run with the "crazy" ideas are the folks who drive innovation and enable us to accomplish our mission. There is no specific pathway that makes you a fit for this role, but rather your resilience, tenacity, and constant curiosity.
If you want to collaborate with us and know you can help make a product that will change the planet for the better, we want to hear from you.
- 90-100% employer-paid health, vision, and dental care
- Flexible Spending Account/ Dependent Care Flexible Spending Account
- Basic Life insurance & Long Term Disability insurance
- Commuter benefits
- 401K (Employer matching)
- Onsite employer sponsored lunches (3 days each week)
- Fully stocked kitchen (snacks responsibly sourced)
- Team happy hours and regularly scheduled table tennis, foosball, and cornhole matches