Vise is an investment management platform built for financial advisors. Founded in 2016, Vise gives advisors the tools and technology they need to grow their business and help clients achieve their goals. By empowering advisors, Vise advances its mission of creating financial freedom for everyone. Vise is backed by Sequoia Capital, Founders Fund, Bond Capital and Ribbit Capital, and recently completed a Series C funding round.
As our first Controller, you will be responsible for building and owning Vise’s accounting function. The ideal candidate will have the ability to act as a leader within a growing company and continually build upon the foundation of our finance organization, while working in tandem with other finance leaders. You are a self-starter who is not afraid to own and manage a core function of the business. You are a problem solver who acts with integrity and has a deep understanding of accounting, internal controls and finance operations.
Our office is located in One World Trade in NYC. Our office is open at limited capacity with strict contact tracing and protocols for anyone who chooses to go in. We will continue to be remote-optional until December 31,2021. We will monitor Covid-19 trends to ensure the safety of our employees.
What you will own
- Oversee and manage our Accounting function in general accounting, monthly financial close process, financial operations, A/R, A/P, and tax compliance
- Develop and implement strategies to improve accounting processes for revenue recognition, capitalization of software development, and accounting system configurations
- Partner with FP&A to prepare monthly management reports and assist with the budgeting and forecasting process
- Preparation and oversight of year end financial statements and ownership of external auditor relationships.
- Interpretation and application of ASC topics (including 606) and US GAAP
- Assist with tax filings and process management with our tax advisor
- Assist with cap table management and administration of shareholder’s equity
- Oversee and manage payables operations to ensure timely payments to vendors and trade partners
- Manage our third party accounting team and begin to strategically build an in-house team.
- Spearhead ad hoc initiatives to improve current processes within finance and the broader company
What you will bring on Day 1
- Bachelor’s or Master’s Degree in Accounting or related field
- CPA license required
- 8-10+ years of total experience including public accounting and experience working in an accounting or controllership organization as an accounting manager, assistant controller or controller.
- Experience in a startup or early stage company environment is preferred but not required. .
- Advanced knowledge of accounting practices, standards, systems and processes within investment management or technology
- Must possess excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills with experience working with non-finance personnel
- Ability to recruit and hire accounting talent in order to continue building finance organizations
Vise celebrates and embraces diversity and is committed to building a team that represents a variety of experiences, backgrounds, and skills. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, marital status, age, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, non-disqualifying physical or mental disability, national origin, veteran status, or other applicable legally protected characteristics.