Visby Medical is an ambitious, well-funded late-stage biotech startup. Driven by a belief that infectious disease diagnosis should be quick, accurate, and accessible to all, Visby has developed the world’s first single-use PCR platform that disrupts the traditional model and redefines the way infectious disease is tested and treated.
ABOUT THE JOB
As the Director of Legal Affairs, you will play a critical role in providing legal guidance and support to the company as it navigates the complex legal landscape of the biotech industry. You will be responsible for ensuring that the company's legal interests are protected and that it complies with all applicable laws and regulations. You will work closely with the executive leadership team and other stakeholders to provide strategic legal counsel and drive business objectives.
- Corporate Governance: Advise senior management and the board of directors on corporate governance matters and ensure compliance with corporate governance best practices.
- Risk Management and Legal Strategy: Proactively identify and calibrate legal risks and offer practical and creative solutions in alignment with the company’s business goals and objectives.
- Commercial Support: Supporting the Sales and Marketing teams will be critical in this role and will include: Strategic partnership with the Sales and Marketing teams to advise on sales and marketing strategies; provide innovative guidance on revenue deals; maintain standard contract terms and draft, review and negotiate master service agreements, supply agreements, distributor and reseller agreements, vendor agreements, consulting agreements and non-disclosure agreements; review marketing materials and activities and counsel on compliance with various laws and regulations including the Anti-kickback Statute, Sunshine Act and applicable privacy laws; review and advise on annual sales commission plan.
- Regulatory and Compliance: Ensure compliance with all relevant laws and regulations governing the biotech and medical device industry, including FDA regulations, Sunshine Act, Anti-kickback laws, and government contract laws and regulations.
- Contract Management: In addition to commercial agreements, review, negotiate and draft a variety of other agreements including employment, supply chain, clinical trial, and technology agreements.
- Intellectual Property: Oversee the protection and management of the company’s intellectual property portfolio including patents, trademarks and trade secrets.
- Litigation Management: Manage all pre-litigation disputes and active litigation matters, including identifying and managing external counsel as necessary, establishing litigation budgets, and crafting litigation strategy.
- Legal Team Leadership: Providing guidance and mentorship to team members; participate in budgeting process and manage Legal Team’s assigned budget.
ON YOUR FIRST DAY WE'LL EXPECT YOU TO HAVE
- J.D. from an American Bar Association accredited law school and at least 8+ years of related firm and/or in-house corporate experience.
- Member of the State Bar of California, in good standing.
- Experience with commercial transactions and corporate law, preferably in the medical device or related industries.
- Demonstrated ability to provide practical, business-oriented and actionable legal advice and counsel to internal and external clients.
- Ability to build trusted internal and external relationships and partnerships with internal and external stakeholders.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
IT'S GREAT IF YOU HAVE
- Experience in a high growth startup and/or Life Sciences environment.
- Experience with FDA regulatory matters, particularly as it relates to medical devices.
- Experience working with and influencing individuals and members of cross-functional teams
- Experience in other areas such product counseling and procurement, privacy and cybersecurity and/or healthcare compliance.
- In-house or firm employment counseling and litigation experience.
UNIQUE ASPECTS OF THIS JOB
- Expected travel: Minimal travel expected (up to 5%)
- Schedule: Flexible work schedule, hybrid 3-days/week in the office
- Physical aspects: Standard office environment
- $230,429 - $269,279 (Salary range for candidates based in San Jose, CA)
- Compensation for the role is based on geographical location.
- Compensation also depends on a number of factors including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies and experience and may fall outside of the range shown.
More about our benefits
Visby offers highly competitive health insurance through Cigna or Kaiser, including a company-funded HSA option. We also offer a 401k match, flexible paid time off, 11 company holidays, and many other contemporary benefits and perks.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Visbees is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, pregnancy or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, or military or veteran status.
Full COVID Vaccination Required - Reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons considered.