Visby Medical is an ambitious, well-funded late-stage biotech startup. Driven by a belief that infectious disease diagnosis should be quick, accurate, and accessible to all, Visby has developed the world’s first single-use PCR platform that disrupts the traditional model and redefines the way infectious disease is tested and treated.
ABOUT THE TEAM
The external partnerships team within Visby Medical has had a pivotal role in the evolution of this technology: it has succeeded in obtaining ~80 million dollars in non-dilutive funding from federal grants and contracts, appointed the company’s scientific advisory board, represented Visby Medical at various federal agencies including the CDC, BARDA, NIH and the DoD, participated in negotiations with the pharmaceutical industry and initiated research projects with academic partners to evaluate the performance features of the Visby device and quantify its cost effectiveness.
ABOUT THE JOB
Visby Medical now seeks a Ph.D. scientist or M.D. physician scientist who will lead the external partnerships team as it seeks to accomplish the following objectives;
HOW YOU’LL MAKE AN IMPACT
- Successfully compete for relevant grants and contracts from US Federal agencies including NIH, DoD, BARDA, CDC, from NGOs including the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the Wellcome Trust and from public-private partnerships including CarbX. The resulting funds would be used to augment Visby Medical’s R&D budget, fund high yield—high risk innovation projects, expand Visby Medical’s product pipeline and support the use of the Visby device in settings where rapid molecular diagnostics are not currently available, including underserved populations.
- Initiate collaborations with the pharmaceutical industry to support deployment of the Visby platform as a companion/complementary diagnostic for emerging new antivirals or to expedite clinical trials of new antimicrobials.
- Initiate research partnerships with academic partners to carry out studies of the performance features and medical economics of the visby platform.
- Provide leadership to a talented team of external partnership scientists within Visby Medical.
- Be the Visby scientific and technical representative to agencies of the federal government.
- Participate in meetings of the technical, clinical trial and commercial teams within Visby, seeking synergies between the activities of the external partnership group and the missions of other groups within Visby.
ON YOUR FIRST DAY WE’D LIKE YOU TO HAVE
- MD or PhD degree with a focus in infectious diseases; experience conducting multidisciplinary research projects; experience writing and managing research projects funded by external agencies, including agencies of the US federal government. Experience publishing the results of these projects in peer-reviewed journals. Experience presenting research findings to scientific and medical audiences.
- Prior work in or with USG agencies, foundations or public private partnerships in the areas of grants management, advocacy, policy development etc.
- Experience working in cross disciplinary groups that include engineers, assay chemists, molecular biologists, clinical trialists, and members of the commercial team.
- Experience working with budgets including commonly used budget spreadsheets and with comparing budget expenditures against project milestones and Gantt charts. Experience presenting project progress to project funders.
- Excellent communication skills; ability to execute projects deliverables with short deadlines.
- $190,000 - $250,000 (Minimum to maximum salary range for candidates based in San Jose, CA)
- Compensation for the role is based on geographical location.
- Compensation also depends on a number of factors including a candidate’s qualifications, skills, competencies and experience and may fall outside of the range shown.
More about our benefits
Visby offers highly competitive health insurance through Cigna or Kaiser, including a company-funded HSA option. We also offer a 401k match, flexible paid time off, 11 company holidays, and many other contemporary benefits and perks.
We believe that the unique contributions of all Visbees is the driver of our success. To make sure that our products and culture continue to incorporate everyone's perspectives and experience we never discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, pregnancy or related medical conditions, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, disability, medical condition, genetic information, marital status, or military or veteran status.
Full COVID Vaccination Required - Reasonable accommodations for medical or religious reasons considered.