San Jose based Visby Medical is an ambitious, well-funded, and fast-paced early stage biotech startup. Driven by a belief that disease diagnosis should be quick, accurate, and accessible to all, Visby is developing a novel diagnostic device platform that aims to redefine the way an infectious disease is tested and treated.
We are developing a tenacious team with deep industry expertise of researchers, biologists, designers, and engineers that is back-stopped by world class operations and administrative resources. If you enjoy tackling challenging problems, are passionate about your work product, and want to join a collaborative ownership team that is aiming to leave a lasting positive legacy in the healthcare industry, please consider the following Product Development Scientist I opportunity.
This Product Development Scientist I role is a position in support of product development activities that requires planning, advanced laboratory techniques including data analysis and summaries, and writing skills.
- Read and understand all assigned QMS documents.
- Follow GLP guidelines in documenting all work.
- Follow work instructions and test protocols and properly document work forms as per Good Laboratory Practices. May create new documents including test protocols or update existing ones and submit deviations and DCO's.
- Writes QMS test reports independently.
- Independently design and execute studies for product development, studies may include multiple experiments. Able to put in purchase requests as necessary for study-specific materials.
- Compile data and results and make a scientific assessment thereof. Use scientific judgment to plan additional experiments and use the data to plan the next experiment with a high degree of detail and complexity.
- Prepare and deliver presentations as needed.
- Use working knowledge, experience and/or some publication research to identify issues before and after they may occur.
- Double-check the work of less senior team members and help them to identify, understand, and solve problems.
- Introduce new team members to technical concepts and laboratory practices.
- Provide data and present information to external partners and contribute to publications and patents. Also participate in, and present data at seminars (internal or external) and/or scientific conferences. Able to frame technical details and projects as a story.
- Run point on complex projects involving multiple team members.
- Keep work area clean and organized. Participate in laboratory decontamination efforts.
- Other duties as assigned.
Education and/or Experience
- B.S., M.S., or Ph.D.
- Minimum 4 years of experience in the field of molecular biology or a minimum of 2 years with a Master's or Ph.D. degree.
- Proficient in basic laboratory skills and possesses a strong knowledge for working with complex laboratory equipment such as thermocyclers.
- Comfortable performing repetitive tasks and/or motions.
- Must be able to lift a minimum of 10 lbs.