Title: Head of Strategy
Reports To: President
Department/Line of Business: Virtue, US
Location: Brooklyn, NY
Founded in 2006, VIRTUE Worldwide is a full-service creative agency born from VICE Media. Headquartered in Brooklyn with 24 offices globally, VIRTUE specializes in developing brand platforms, campaigns and ideas that contribute to culture. VIRTUE acts as lead creative, content, and cultural agency and engages on project-based assignments for our clients, who include AB-InBev, Coca-Cola, Bacardi, Google, Marriott, AT&T, and Unilever.
VIRTUE is seeking a Head of Strategy to play a key leadership role in the growth of our agency, leading the strategic charge on new business pitches, as well as cultivating and growing existing client relationships. You will be leading an ambitious team of brand, communications, and research strategists. You will be working very closely with our creative teams to inspire the best and most effective work possible, and interface with clients on a regular basis. You should be able to own a room, run a strategic process from beginning to end, and have a deep fascination with culture and the role brands can play in it. If you can look at the same thing that everyone else has looked at, but see something that nobody else has seen, then we need to talk.
- You’ll bring a sharp strategic point of view that will drive the overall approach to our client work.
- You’ll collaborate cross functionally, and apply strategic thinking to the various stages of our work, ranging from high level concepts to tactical implementation of ideas.
- You’ll manage and mentor all of our strategy team members
- You’ll foster a culture of thought leadership, respectful provocation, and collaboration.
- You’ll champion the idea of creative strategy within the agency
- You’ll coordinate with our nationwide (and global) strategy teams to share ideas, knowledge and resources
- Lead the strategy team in developing breakthrough ideas for new business, along with key accounts.
- Responsible for leading workshops and helping client teams make leaps and break impasses, by using your outstanding facilitation skills.
- Coordinate and optimize the agency’s annual strategic planning process with clients.
- Lead and support new business pitches with other team members within VIRTUE.
- Establish strong and collaborative relationships with key department heads and employees across the business including account, creative, analytics, and more.
- Manage and mentor junior strategists on the team – be the person on the team they strive to be like.
- Always striving to make the work better and keep the creative team on task.
- Be an active participant in industry groups, and be an ambassador of thought leadership for the agency.
A little about you:
- You have at least 12+ years experience in strategy, consulting, account planning, brand planning, or cultural strategy and 5+ years experience managing direct reports.
- You understand and explain market conditions, landscape, and trend analysis with ease.
- You have a proven track record of pitching and winning new business.
- You know how to spot a true Insight. You have the ability to empathize with different consumer types, see the world through their eyes and connect those dots to the brand.
- You have the ability to come up with BIG ideas that move the creative forward, and unlock potential in our clients businesses.
- You can write a killer creative brief. Someone who believes in the value of a tight brief and doesn’t just regurgitate what the client has given them.
- You’re not afraid of the whiteboard. Experience leading workshops, brainstorms and ideation sessions.
- You are proficient when it comes to conducting primary research or synthesizing third party research to support strategies.
- You are an eternal optimist - We need a positive thinker whose optimism is contagious to those around them.
- You understand and are fascinated by culture, sub-cultures, and the forces that move them.
- Strong quantitative analysis skills: ability to use industry analysis, financial forecasting, business model evaluation, scenario analysis, and other forms of data-intensive financial modeling to derive strategic insight and inform executive decision-making