Founded in 2006, VIRTUE Worldwide is a full-service creative agency born from VICE Media. Headquartered in Brooklyn with 24 offices globally, VIRTUE specializes in developing brand platforms, campaigns and ideas that contribute to culture. VIRTUE acts as lead creative, content, and cultural agency and engages on project-based assignments for our clients, who include AB-InBev, Coca-Cola, Bacardi, Google, Marriott, AT&T, and Unilever.
VIRTUE is seeking a Freelance Strategy Director to play a key role in the growth of our agency, leading the strategic charge on new business pitches, as well as cultivating and growing existing client relationships. You will be joining an ambitious team of brand, communications, and research strategists. You will be working very closely with our creative teams to inspire the best and most effective work possible, and collaborate with clients on a regular basis. You should be able to own a room, run a strategic process from beginning to end, and have a deep fascination with culture and the role brands can play in it. If you can look at the same thing that everyone else has looked at, but see something that nobody else has seen, then we need to talk.
- Work closely with Group Strategy Director to develop breakthrough ideas for new business, along with key accounts.
- Own, manage, and run the strategy on your specific accounts
- Own planning projects from inception to completion: create research plans, develop insights, write briefs, collaborate with the creative, account and client teams, facilitate and direct brainstorming sessions, and continue to see the project through in all its phases.
- Lead and support new business pitches with other team members within VIRTUE.
- Establish strong and collaborative relationships with key department heads and employees across the business including account, creative, analytics, and more.
- Manage and mentor junior strategists on the team – be the person on the team they strive to be like.
- Always striving to make the work better and keep the creative team on task.
A little about you:
- You have at least 7+ years experience in strategy, consulting, account planning, brand planning, or cultural strategy.
- You have a consistent track record of pitching and winning new business.
- You know how to spot a true Insight. You have the ability to empathize with different consumer types, see the world through their eyes and connect those dots to the brand.
- You have the ability to come up with BIG ideas that move the creative forward, and unlock potential in our clients businesses.
- You are more than comfortable working with clients directly, leading the pitch process and handling an account with little to no oversight.
- You can write a killer creative brief. Someone who believes in the value of a tight brief and doesn’t just regurgitate what the client has given them.
- You’re not afraid of the whiteboard. Experience leading workshops, brainstorms and ideation sessions.
- You are proficient when it comes to conducting primary research or synthesizing third party research to support strategies.
- You are an eternal optimist - We need a positive thinker whose optimism is contagious to those around them.
- You understand and are fascinated by culture, sub-cultures, and the forces that move them.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.