Virtu is a leading financial firm that leverages cutting edge technology to deliver liquidity to the global markets and innovative, transparent trading solutions to our clients. As a market maker, Virtu provides deep liquidity that helps to create more efficient markets around the world. Our market structure expertise, broad diversification, and execution technology enables us to provide competitive bids and offers in over 19,000 securities, at over 235 venues, in 36 countries worldwide.
- Main legal function in the Asia Pacific region while overseeing Compliance for the region.
- Managing the execution, filing and administration of Asia Pacific contracts.
- Provide legal advice in relation to all areas of the business in Asia Pacific, including but not limited to, employment matters, leasing, technical contracts, terms of business and products, brokerage matters, regulatory matters.
- Working with business departments within the region and external counsel to support the region’s legal and compliance needs.
- Advise business departments at a variety of levels through clear, concise and actionable legal advice on general corporate matters.
- Advise global and legal business units on compliance with Asia Pacific financial services laws.
- Respond to inquiries, examinations, and investigations by government agencies and regulators in the region.
- Ensure that risk assessments are appropriately conducted; including assessments of incidents and errors.
- Act as a “Manager in Charge” of Compliance, AML and Risk for Virtu regulated entities and ensure compliance of those local entities with relevant legislation.
- Oversee core Compliance functions including but not limited to employee trading, restricted lists, registrations, and AML.
- Oversee the development and drafting of policies and procedures required by regulation.
- Maintain an understanding of trading risk management operations and controls.
- Maintain an understating of trading surveillance operations and controls.
Knowledge and Skill Required:
- Bachelor of Laws from a credible university.
- Admission as a lawyer in Australia and/or Hong Kong
- Relevant experience with a top-quality major law firm and/or bank or broker-dealer.
- Extensive knowledge of the regulatory framework and rules for the financial services industry in Asia Pacific – in particular for Hong Kong, Singapore and Australia.
- In depth knowledge of equities trading and the various market structures in Asia Pacific, as well as rules and regulations pertaining to electronic trading and Alternative Liquidity Pools/Crossing Systems.
- Possess knowledge and understanding of clearing and settlement operations and securities rules and regulations pertaining to such activities.
- Experience drafting and negotiating commercial contracts and a developed understanding of principles of contract and company law.
- Commitment to high standards of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Willingness to take initiative and assume responsibility.
- Experience managing expectations with transparency to meet deadlines and deliver quality results.