CLINICAL RESEARCH SCIENTIST
Virta is an online specialty medical clinic that reverses type 2 diabetes safely and sustainably, without the risks, costs, or side effects of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission - to reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
We are looking for a talented Clinical Research Scientist to join our top-notch mission-driven team. If you meet the requirements below, we would love to tell you more about Virta in person.
This position is responsible for clinical trial management and data collection for Virta’s ongoing studies of type 2 diabetes and metabolic disease including patient health outcomes, economic outcomes, and quality-of-life measures.
- BA/MA in biomedical sciences and 3+ years of clinical research experience or PhD in biomedical sciences
- Clinical research experience including patient interaction and consent, protocol development, IRB-relations, clinical data collection & analysis, collaboration management
- Training in biomedical statistics, clinical study data analysis, and clinical informatics including handling of Protected Health Information
- Attention to detail, ability to maintain data integrity and quality, and lead process troubleshooting & improvement
- Extraordinary drive and work ethic, Intellectual flexibility and curiosity, Impeccable ethics
- Geographic flexibility to move and travel based on clinical trial locations for several years
Additional Desired Attributes:
- Health economics and outcomes research experience.
- Publication track record and contribution to a team of co-authors as data analyst and writer.
- Experience extracting and analyzing data from databases (SQL scripting a plus)
- Knowledge of and experience with the following topics will be a plus
- electronic health record systems (e.g. EPIC),
- insurance claims databases, codes, and billing procedures
- biostatistics software (e.g. SPSS)
- research experience with diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and/or nutrition
- Trial patient coordination and outcomes collection for the landmark Virta-IUH diabetes trial in Lafayette Indiana
- Management of new clinical trials for diabetes and chronic disease outcomes
- Coordination of health economics and outcomes research including system utilization, insuran
- ce claims, quality-of-life and workplace metrics
- Contribute to multiple publications including data analysis, writing, and management of manuscript submission
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Establish procedures and schedule 2nd year clinical and economics data collection in the Virta-IUH diabetes trial.
- Develop and iteratively improve at least two processes that make clinical research faster and more scalable.
- Contribute at least one unique insight that improves Virta’s clinical outcomes
- Contribute at least one unexpected result incorporated into a future research publication
- Establish strong working relationships with Virta team members including research, data science and clinical teams among others. Teach and inspire other team members.
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate
If that sounds like the kind of work you would love to be doing, reach out to us and let’s chat about how we might combine forces!