Virta is an online specialty medical clinic that reverses type 2 diabetes safely and sustainably without the risks, costs, or side effects of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission: reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
We are looking for a talented back-end engineer to join our top-notch mission-driven team. If you meet the requirements below, we would love to tell you more about Virta in person.
- 5+ years of experience shipping Python code in high quality production environments
- Has designed and implemented significant complex APIs that scaled to large numbers of users
- Highly knowledgeable and experienced with data pipelines, SQL, and non-SQL datastores
- Has attention to detail, carefully crafts both tests and code
- Loves learning new technologies
- Code and ship complex new back end features and API endpoints at high velocity and high quality with well-structured code.
- Troubleshoot debug, and fix issues in production and non-production environments
- Coach and mentor peer engineers to become great developers and recommend best practices and tools.
- Help out with DevOps and IT tasks as necessary in our small startup environment
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Code at least one significant new API or data processing pipeline feature with full test coverage and get it through peer review and into production
- Teach and inspire other engineering team members through knowledge sharing, pair programming, and/or giving feedback during code reviews
- Propose and implement one or more process improvements to make our engineering team even better
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate