Virta is an online specialty medical clinic that reverses type 2 diabetes safely and sustainably without the risks, costs, or side effects of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission: reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
Virta is now available to nearly 100% of the U.S population, and we are expanding our capabilities to bring our groundbreaking online type 2 diabetes reversal clinic directly to patients. As a Virta Health Coach, you’ll work directly with Virta patients to reverse metabolic disease. We’re looking for enthusiastic, highly motivated individuals to join our top notch, mission-driven team. If that sounds like your dream job, we’d love to tell you more about it.
- Four year college degree in Nutrition, Dietetics, Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Nursing, or other health-related field (required)
- Registered Dietitian, Registered Nurse, Registered Exercise Physiologist or similar professional degree or certification (preferred)
- Outpatient nutrition counseling experience and/or health coaching experience (preferred)
- Experience in tech-based growth company (preferred)
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with the ability to utilize diverse modes of communication. Ability to adapt communication style to suit different audiences such as patients, teammates, customers, and scientific professionals.
- High EQ and empathy with the ability to work with different personalities through times of change.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills to keep you on track during rapidly changing situations.
- Growth mindset where you are always learning and improving.
- Strong desire to build relationships with patients and willingness to help others as a frontline care provider.
- Strong cultural alignment with Virtan and Clinical Team Values
- Comfortable using various digital platforms and a remote delivery model in a rapidly changing environment; technology literacy is a must!
- Highly motivated and able to work independently to self-manage priorities, and willing to ask for help and lean on teammates for support when needed.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to adjust to rapidly changing environment and expectations.
- Preference for candidates with multi-lingual abilities.
- Must be able to work full-time from one of the Virta offices: Denver, CO - St. Louis, MO - San Francisco, CA - Omaha, NE
- Provide remote patient care with science-based therapeutic tools, using an evolving digital app as your main source of communication (includes texting, phone calls, and video chats).
- Provide education and coaching to assist patients in implementing an individualized nutrition and care plan, focusing on nutritional ketosis via personalized carbohydrate intake with lifestyle changes that focus on sustainability.
- Address patient status changes with the Virta medical staff in a detailed, timely, and effective manner; communicate medication changes and other physician recommendations to patients.
- Monitor and provide feedback on daily metrics and vitals including weight, blood ketones, blood glucose, blood pressure, side effects, energy, cravings, hunger, and mood.
- Empathize, connect, and partner with patients to ensure personal success and sustainability using various counseling techniques including, but not limited to motivational interviewing and patient-centered goal setting.
- Review and update medications, medical history, and laboratory values, and document patient encounters in Virta’s HIPAA-compliant portal.
- Uphold company values and maintain a strong team dynamic including sharing your specific expertise with your teammates.
- Learn and incorporate new scientific findings into patient education.
- And of course, have fun!
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Successfully take on and manage your own patients; new or veteran patients
- Work with our existing health coaches to learn and understand the full patient experience, enrollment through patient management by health coaches
- Shadow existing health coaches and learn how to successfully perform patient intake and onboarding welcome calls
- Shadow and learn from existing health coaches on what tools are necessary to perform your day to day job
- Learn and understand what key performance indicators are used to track health coach performance and how your day to day impacts those metrics
- Contribute and suggest process improvements to help improve coach efficiency
- Have fun!
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if you:
- Demonstrate passion towards our purpose of improving the health of hundreds of millions of people
- Have experience thriving in a chaotic, fast growing startup environment
- Are willingly to challenge the scientific status quo with new evidence
- Demonstrate resourcefulness and completion of ambitious projects outside of work