Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type 2 diabetes and other chronic metabolic diseases without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission - to reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
As a Full Stack engineer, you will make key contributions to the applications, tools, and workflows across the entire patient journey at Virta:
- Creating the cross-platform experience that allows our patients to receive first-class remote care at scale
- Building the next generation healthcare platform that allows our clinical team to serve patients 24/7
- Streamlining the application process that makes applying for medical care as easy as creating a social media account
- Providing the data and insights to employers and health plans that show the efficacy of the Virta Treatment using aggregate patient data in a safe, secure, and respectful way
You will have an opportunity to focus and influence direction across all levels of our stack to meet the rapidly changing needs of a growing company. You will also have the opportunity to take ownership of new and critical features central to the success of both our patients and mission.
- Partner with product management and design to come up with features and solutions that improve the entire Virta Experience from first applicant contact to latest patient achievements
- Code and ship complex new features in our web and mobile apps at high velocity and high quality with well-structured code
- Coach and mentor peers to become great developers and recommend best practices and tools
- Troubleshoot, debug, and fix issues in production and non-production environments
- Manage performance and usage of applications in the production environment
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Code and ship multiple features that involves both front-end and back-end code with complete test coverage
- Teach and inspire other engineering team members through knowledge sharing, pair programming, and giving feedback in code reviews
- Propose and implement one or more process/product improvements to make our engineering team even better
- 2+ years shipping back-end code in a high-quality production environment, with exposure to front-end development
- Experience with data and event-based architectures (API development, SQL/NoSQL datastores, messaging queues, etc.)
- Experience building and deploying microservices in production
- Strong communication skills with a proven history of interfacing with business-level stakeholders, both technical and non-technical alike
- Has attention to detail, carefully crafts both tests and code
- Loves learning and adapting to new technologies to solve core business problems.
Bonus Points For...
- Server-side experience with Docker, Kubernetes, Google Cloud Platform
- Significant experience in the Python ecosystem
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
As part of your duties at Virta, you may come in contact with sensitive patient information that is governed by HIPAA. Throughout your career at Virta, you will be expected to follow Virta's security and privacy procedures to ensure our patients' information remains strictly confidential. Security and privacy training will be provided.