Virta provides a clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type 2 diabetes and other chronic metabolic diseases without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science, and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission - to reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
We are looking for an outstanding Clinical Research Associate/Scientist with excellence in human subjects research and statistics (epidemiology preferred) to join our world-class research team in its mission to prove and improve health outcomes in diabetes and cardiometabolic disease. To start, this position is responsible for coordinating new research studies under the direction of the Principal Investigator, conducting statistical analyses, reviewing literature, drafting manuscripts in collaboration with internal and external co-authors, and assisting with day-to-day activities of the research team to support cross-functional collaboration with clinical education, product, and commercial teams.
- Coordinate operations and logistics for clinical trials as key study personnel under the direction of the Primary Investigator. Oversight of future clinical trials is a possibility with appropriate experience/expertise.
- Collaborate with PIs to conduct statistical analyses supporting all Virta internal and external clinical research projects including the landmark Virta - Indiana University Health diabetes and pre-diabetes trial, the Virta Health Registry, and future research.
- Perform literature reviews to enable evidence-based decision making and written assets.
- Assist with drafting, editing, and submission of manuscripts for peer review in collaboration with co-authors.
- Build productive collaborations with co-workers in data science, clinical care and education, graphic design, product, and commercial teams.
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Coordinate operations and logistics to launch a new research study while working closely with the study PI.
- Perform data analyses of patient health outcomes that prove or improve patient health outcomes while gaining fluency with our internal data tools.
- Discover an insight that enhances a publication or clinical care or that serves as a hypothesis for future study.
- Establish strong working relationships with Virta team members in research and beyond.
- M.S. in nutrition, physiology, public health, psychology, biomedical science, epidemiology, biostatistics, or a related field.
- 2+ years of statistics experience with SPSS, python, R, or similar tool. (Experience with SQL is a plus.)
- Experience in human subjects research including study coordination and progress reporting.
- Strong experience and attention to detail in data collection, management, and reporting. Ability to iterate on processes to increase efficiency and effectiveness in these tasks.
- Impeccable integrity for research ethics and data analysis/presentation.
- Exceptional written and verbal communication skills across a variety of audiences (professional, medical/scientific, patients) and with patient-centered tone and personality.
- Ability to work at start-up speed and possess intellectual curiosity with the desire to improve health outcomes for patients.
- Bonus requirements:
- PhD in nutrition, physiology, public health, psychology, biomedical science, epidemiology, biostatistics, or a related field.
- 4+ years statistics experience with SPSS, python, R, or similar tool. Experience with SQL. Expertise in epidemiology, biostatistics, and use of observational, real world data for deriving insights and developing hypotheses.
- Minimum of 10 peer-reviewed publications including first author or senior author manuscripts and demonstration of excellent scientific writing.
- Leadership of research collaborations involving co-authors from multiple fields.
- Experience in cardiometabolic disease, diabetes, cardiology, lipidology, behavioral medicine, telemedicine, digital and mobile health.
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate