Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type 2 diabetes and other chronic metabolic diseases without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science, and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission - to reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
As an Associate Pod Lead at Virta, you’ll work directly with patients to help reverse metabolic disease while providing exceptional patient care to achieve transformational outcomes . Additionally, Associate Pod Leads will work closely with Clinical Pod Leads and their teams to learn, practice, and establish a strong leadership/management foundation with the goal of progressing towards the Clinical Pod Lead position and managing direct reports.
- Provide remote patient care with science-based therapeutic tools, using an evolving digital app as your main source of communication (includes texting, phone calls, and video chats).
- Provide education and coaching to assist patients in implementing an individualized nutrition & care plan, focusing on nutritional ketosis via personalized carbohydrate intake with lifestyle changes that focus on sustainability.
- Collaborate with the Virta medical staff in a detailed, timely, and effective manner to address patient status changes (communicate medication changes and other physician recommendations to patients).
- Monitor and provide feedback on daily metrics and vitals including: weight, blood ketones, blood glucose, blood pressure, side effects, energy, cravings, hunger, and mood.
- Empathize, connect, and partner with patients to ensure personal success and sustainability using various counseling techniques including, but not limited to motivational interviewing and patient-centered goal setting.
- Review and update medications, medical history, and laboratory values, as well as document patient interactions in Virta’s HIPAA-compliant portal.
- Uphold company values and maintain a strong team dynamic including sharing your specific expertise with your teammates.
- Learn and incorporate new scientific findings into patient education.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with Enrollment Advisors, Clinical Support Specialists, and Product Teams to provide feedback and communicate coaching best practices.
- Exhibits & demonstrates the following qualities:
- Desire to grow and excel in a leadership role
- Growth mindset & problem solving
- Organizational thinking and project management skills
- Ability to drive consensus and seeks & respond to feedback
- Assist with the management and review of various Pod/team logistics such as:
- Scheduling shift coverage (weekend/holiday/vacation coverage)
- Patient assignments and coach capacity
- Leading Pod/team meetings, as needed
- Support Pod success by:
- Familiarization with the various metrics and Looker reports used by the coach team
- Reviewing coach/team Looker reports & metrics and helping develop plans for specific/individual patients
- Assisting with Health Coach chart reviews
- Call individual patients as needed to follow up on feedback or low NPS scores/comments
- Participate in interviews and candidate screening
- Help conduct reference checks
- Continue to expand personal network and identify potential candidates for the health coach role & others
- Own, develop, and create a project/initiative that helps improves our patient success rate and/ or health coach sustainability/workflow
- Demonstrate effective cross functional teamwork, ability to collaborate, and strong communication - Ability to drive consensus.
- Develop/define your personal leadership philosophy
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Successfully take on and provide care for both new and tenured patients; increasing your patient panel by roughly ten new patients per week.
- Partner with our existing health coaches to learn and understand the full patient experience, from enrollment to daily patient care and long-term patient success.
- Shadow Pod Leads & health coaches to learn how to successfully perform onboarding welcome calls and provide excellent patient care.
- Passing scores/positive reviews on patient simulations.
- Learn and understand what key performance indicators (KPIs) are used to track health coach performance and how your day to day work impacts those metrics.
- Learn the various responsibilities of the Pod Lead role and assist with the management and review of various Pod/team logistics.
- Actively contribute to team culture, learning, and overall process improvements by providing continuous feedback.
- Take time to connect with and proactively get to know fellow Virtans; various leaders/teammates/teams/roles. Learn, adopt, support, and help live out the Virtan Values.
- 4-year college degree required in one of the following disciplines: Nutrition, Dietetics, Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Nursing, Social Work, Psychology, or other health-related field. Also: Registered Dietitian, Registered Nurse, Registered Exercise Physiologist or similar professional degree or certification.
- 1-2+ years successful experience leading/managing teams in a clinical setting
- Experience helping develop direct reports to achieve personal and professional goals
- Prior experience working with patients directly in the following areas: outpatient/inpatient nutrition counseling, motivational interviewing, using and/or implementing various behavior change techniques, health coaching, health counseling, mental health counseling, etc (strongly preferred).
- Comfortable using various digital platforms and a remote delivery model in a rapidly changing environment; technology literacy is a must!
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with the ability to utilize diverse modes of communication. Ability to adapt communication style to suit different audiences such as patients, teammates, customers, and scientific professionals.
- High EQ and empathy with the ability to work with different personalities through times of change.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills to keep you on track during rapidly changing situations.
- Growth mindset where you are always learning and improving.
- A clear and strong desire to build relationships with patients, coaches, & teammates, foster growth, and put others first.
- Unquestionable integrity, no ego.
- Highly motivated and able to work independently to self-manage priorities, and willing to ask for help and lean on teammates for support when needed.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to adjust to rapidly changing environments and expectations with a positive mindset
- Strong consideration for candidates with multi-lingual abilities.
- Ability to work full-time in one of our local offices: Denver, Omaha, or San Francisco
- Ability to work one weekend per month and 1-2 holidays per year.
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate