Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type-2 diabetes without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission: reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025. Our digital care delivery platform enabling continuous remote care by licensed physicians, can also be used to deliver other treatments, which is our long-term expansion plan.
The Chief of Staff (CoS) to the CEO role requires exceptional leadership talent and ability to lead by influencing through respect and trust, rather than formal authority. This CoS provides leverage for the CEO and creates value by working with internal teams -- functional executives and other teams -- and external constituents -- customers, partners, investors and board members -- to solve problems, evaluate new opportunities and execute both internal and external projects that don't (yet) neatly fit into any existing function. You will constantly have more projects that you can realistically handle and need to carefully prioritize between unexpected, yet critical day to day challenges and long-term strategic projects. In many ways, your role is a combination of a “COO”, “internal management consultant” and “business development executive”, all in one.
The CoS will also have a front-row seat to learn and observe how a growth-company is built and scaled and have a real measurable impact on Virta’s success. Your success in this role prepares you well to eventually become a COO, CEO or GM or take a functional (VP) role in a growth company.
- Leverage for CEO day to day: Help CEO prepare and follow up after meetings.
- Evaluate new opportunities: Own special projects (e.g. evaluate a new business opportunity) that don’t neatly fit into any existing organizational structure
- Execute external partnerships: Own, plan and execute new, critical partnerships that don’t yet fit into any existing team, such as sales.
- Internal execution: Run and further develop overall internal company “operating system”, such as cross-functional quarterly and annual planning as well as unexpected projects and managing internal executive team meetings and related follow ups
- Leverage for functional leaders: Occasionally help functional leaders prepare for key internal and board meetings
- See beyond the horizon: Based on careful observations about internal and external matters, suggest process, strategy and priorities changes to the CEO and executive team
- Day to day, you will work directly with the CEO and organizationally, most likely, report to our CFO/GC.
- Interpersonal skills to work with anyone, and persuade others to work with you even without a formal reporting relationship
- Crisp written and verbal communicator with the ability to take complex, ambiguous concepts and distill them into understandable narrative
- Business acumen and analytical skills to solve today’s and tomorrow’s business problems
- C-level presence and confidence to be able to meet with internal and external partners at the most senior level
- Some prior experience and understanding of the U.S. healthcare system to have enough context for rapid decision making
- Strong project management skills to be able to drive multiple projects forward towards closure and impact
- Preferably a combination of “real functional experience” in product, operations or general management combined with management consulting or an MBA
- Optimistic attitude; as most of your projects are unexpected and tough new challenges and opportunities, you must bring optimism and excitement to people you’re working with
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate
As part of your duties at Virta, you may come in contact with sensitive patient information that is governed by HIPAA. Throughout your career at Virta, you will be expected to follow Virta's security and privacy procedures to ensure our patients' information remains strictly confidential. Security and privacy training will be provided.