Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type-2 diabetes without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission: reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
As the Controller, you will be an integral part of our small finance team. You will build and lead the company’s internal accounting function and build a strong internal control structure in a fast paced, rapidly growing environment. The Controller will be responsible for accounting operations, GAAP compliance, internal controls, ASC 606 adoption, revenue recognition, internal/external reporting, management of external audits, technical and equity accounting, tax and treasury. In addition, you will provide ongoing thought leadership and guidance around new accounting standards and their successful implementation. The Controller will drive process improvement and enable strong performance against strategic, financial, and operational goals.
The Controller will report to the Head of Finance and Legal, and is expected to exhibit the highest professional standards, ethical principles, and attention to detail while working on numerous routine and ad hoc accounting support functions. Other valued attributes that we are seeking are a strong work ethic, capacity to get things done independently, and consistent performance with a sense of urgency and commitment.
- Build, lead and develop the accounting, tax and treasury teams
- Be the company’s technical expert in accounting matters
- Manage all monthly, quarterly and year-end close activities including maintenance of close calendars and checklists, review of journal entries, account reconciliations and analysis of results
- Manage the preparation of internal and external consolidated financial statements in accordance with GAAP
- Manage annual audit process and oversee preparation of audited financials
- Ensure that all financial systems are properly operating to capture and produce timely and accurate information and support the company’s growth
- Re-engineer core accounting operational processes (e.g. payables, order to cash, commissions, etc.) with the goal of building processes and automation to scale and accommodate the fast growth of the company
- Develop and drive necessary financial policies, procedures, and internal controls and play a leading role in directing change initiatives and process improvements
- Proactively identify issues and areas for improvement within the Company’s accounting processes and implement improvements that help automate and streamline accounting operations such that they can scale with the company’s continued growth
- Develop and drive necessary financial policies, procedures, and internal controls
- Perform accounting research and provide technical guidance, as needed, while facilitating the accounting team's commitment to timely and accurate processing of accounting transactions in accordance with GAAP
- Liaise with FP&A and business partners to generate, record, reconcile, and maintain accrual balances and assist with monthly budget versus actual analyses
- Perform other ad hoc projects and strategic analyses, as directed
- Demonstrated Success as Corporate Controller in a fast paced, growing tech company. Prior Start Up experience preferred
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, business or finance, MBA a plus, CPA strongly preferred
- 5+ years of accounting experience with a Big 4 or nationally recognized accounting firm (preferably with technology or healthcare exposure)
- In depth GAAP knowledge, with demonstrated ASC 606 and revenue recognition experience
- Experience with Netsuite, a plus.
- Experience with revenue cycle management, a plus
- Must have the ability to proactively and creatively approach problem solving in order to execute multiple tasks and adhere to deadlines in a fast-paced, dynamic environment
- Must have excellent critical thinking and time management skills
- Must have strong organizational, leadership, and interpersonal skills
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Establish strong working relationships with department leads and become the internal point of contact for accounting, tax and treasury.
- Evaluate our accounting policies, processes and procedures and identify areas for improvement.
- Assess our outside accounting and tax relationships, including our service providers
- Review our financial statements and familiarize yourself with our business
- Outline a best in class month end close process and then produce a gap analysis that outlines the work needed to get there
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate