Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type 2 diabetes and other chronic metabolic diseases without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science, and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission - to reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
As a Health Coach at Virta, you’ll work directly with Virta patients to help reverse metabolic disease. We're looking for enthusiastic, highly motivated individuals to join our top-notch, mission-driven team. If that sounds like your dream job, we’d love to tell you more about it!
We are hiring in multiple locations: Denver, CO - Omaha, NE - St. Louis, MO - San Francisco, CA
- Provide remote patient care with science-based therapeutic tools, using an evolving digital app as your main source of communication (includes texting, phone calls, and video chats).
- Provide education and coaching to assist patients in implementing an individualized nutrition and care plan, focusing on nutritional ketosis via personalized carbohydrate intake with lifestyle changes that focus on sustainability.
- Address patient status changes with the Virta medical staff in a detailed, timely, and effective manner; communicate medication changes and other physician recommendations to patients.
- Monitor and provide feedback on daily metrics and vitals including weight, blood ketones, blood glucose, blood pressure, side effects, energy, cravings, hunger, and mood.
- Empathize, connect, and partner with patients to ensure personal success and sustainability using various counseling techniques including, but not limited to motivational interviewing and patient-centered goal setting.
- Review and update medications, medical history, and laboratory values, as well as document patient interactions in Virta’s HIPAA-compliant portal.
- Uphold company values and maintain a strong team dynamic including sharing your specific expertise with your teammates.
- Learn and incorporate new scientific findings into patient education.
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Successfully take on and manage your own patients; new or veteran patients
- Work with our existing health coaches to learn and understand the full patient experience, enrollment through patient management by health coaches
- Shadow existing health coaches and learn how to successfully perform patient intake and onboarding welcome calls
- Shadow and learn from existing health coaches on what tools are necessary to perform your day to day job
- Learn and understand what key performance indicators are used to track health coach performance and how your day to day impacts those metrics
- Contribute and suggest process improvements to help improve coach efficiency
- Have fun!
- Four-year college degree in Nutrition, Dietetics, Kinesiology, Exercise Science, Nursing, Social Work, Psychology, other health-related field or Registered Dietitian, Registered Nurse, Registered Exercise Physiologist or similar professional degree or certification
- Prior experience working with patients directly in the following areas: outpatient nutrition counseling, motivational interviewing, using and/or implementing various behavior change techniques, health coaching, health counseling, mental health counseling, etc (strongly preferred)
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills with the ability to utilize diverse modes of communication. Ability to adapt communication style to suit different audiences such as patients, teammates, customers, and scientific professionals.
- High EQ and empathy with the ability to work with different personalities through times of change.
- Attention to detail and strong organizational skills to keep you on track during rapidly changing situations.
- Growth mindset where you are always learning and improving.
- Strong desire to build relationships with patients and willingness to help others as a frontline care provider.
- Unquestionable integrity.
- No ego.
- Comfortable using various digital platforms and a remote delivery model in a rapidly changing environment; technology literacy is a must!
- Highly motivated and able to work independently to self-manage priorities, and willing to ask for help and lean on teammates for support when needed.
- Comfortable with ambiguity and able to adjust to rapidly changing environments and expectations.
- Strong consideration for candidates with multi-lingual abilities.
- Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate