Virta is the first company with a clinically-proven treatment to safely and sustainably reverse type 2 diabetes and other chronic metabolic diseases without the use of medications or surgery. Our innovations in nutritional biochemistry, data science and digital tools combined with our clinical expertise are shifting the diabetes treatment paradigm from management to reversal. Our mission - to reverse type 2 diabetes in 100 million people by 2025.
We are looking for an outstanding clinical research scientist with excellence in biostatistics to join our world-class research team in its mission to prove and improve health outcomes in diabetes and cardiometabolic disease. This position is responsible for conducting statistical analyses for all Virta research projects, managing research collaborations and writing manuscripts for peer review. Oversight of future clinical trials is a possibility.
- Conduct statistical analyses supporting all Virta internal and external clinical research projects including the landmark Virta - Indiana University Health diabetes and pre-diabetes trial, the Virta Health Registry, and future trials
- Oversee selected research collaborations and write or edit selected manuscripts for peer review
- Manuscript management through publication
- Present at conferences
- Build productive collaborations with co-workers in data science, clinical care, graphic design
- Provide leadership in statistical thinking throughout the organization including helping co-workers in interpretation of statistics and integration of statistics into analyses and workflow
- Oversight of future clinical trials is a possibility
- Ph.D. or equivalent degree in biomedical science including biostatistics training.
- 5+ years of statistics experience with scripting in R, python or SPSS. (Experience with SQL is a plus.)
- Minimum of 10 peer-reviewed publications including first author or senior author manuscripts and demonstration of excellent scientific writing.
- Leadership of research collaborations involving co-authors from multiple fields.
- Attention to detail, data integrity, and process improvement.
- Ability to work at start-up speed, intellectual curiosity, impeccable ethics.
Additional Desired Attributes:
- Experience with human subjects research such as clinical trials, clinical data collection, protected health information, electronic health records, health economics.
- Experience with topics such as database management, data quality assurance, data analytics, data science, bioinformatics, computational biology.
- Experience with biomedical subjects such as cardiometabolic disease, diabetes, cardiology, lipidology, behavioral medicine, telemedicine, digital and mobile health, epidemiological statistics.
- Desire to learn and implement new technologies.
- Ability to communicate as a dynamic and memorable speaker at conferences.
90 Day Plan
Within your first 90 days at Virta, we expect you will do the following:
- Contribute biostatistical analysis to at least three publications in progress and at least two internal projects.
- Take primary writing and analysis responsibility for at least one publication.
- Take responsibility for at least one academic collaboration.
- Discover at least one unexpected result impacting a publication or product decision.
- Establish strong working relationships with Virta team members in research and beyond. Undertake at least one initiative that promotes statistical thinking.
Virta’s company values drive our culture, so you’ll do well if:
- You put people first and take care of yourself, your peers, and our patients equally
- You have a strong sense of ownership and take initiative while empowering others to do the same
- You prioritize positive impact over busy work
- You have no ego and understand that everyone has something to bring to the table regardless of experience
- You appreciate transparency and promote trust and empowerment through open access of information
- You are evidence-based and prioritize data and science over seniority or dogma
- You take risks and rapidly iterate
Co-location with other Virta researchers preferred. Role can be based in one of the folloing cities:
- San Francisco, CA
- St. Louis, MO
- West Lafayette, IN
Remote work with periodic travel to San Francisco will be considered for exceptional candidates.