The Vimeo Transcoding and Delivery Team is responsible for critical components related to low-level processing of video, audio, and images. We build and maintain systems for converting uploaded videos to formats optimized for network delivery, on-the-fly container format packaging during delivery, audio & video metadata analysis, thumbnail image upload and on-the-fly conversion, subtitles and captions upload and conversion, live video transcoding, and more... We are a small team that is dedicated to high quality, high performance, and attention to detail.
What you'll do:
- Within the first 30 days, you'll familiarize yourself with our existing pipelines - video transcoding, video delivery, and image processing. Learning Go may be part of your first 30 days, depending on your experience with it. By the end of your first couple weeks, you'll be working on a smaller project like frame rate conversions
- By your 90th day, you'll be knee-deep in our transcoding project. You'll help complete the architectural outline, and you'll be coding out components.
- Within 6 months, you'll be a regular contributor towards our efforts regarding live video, VR, parallel transcoding, and other next-gen projects.
- Long term, we're moving toward less dependence on our web application by building a standalone system for the full video pipeline. This will allow the team to focus on implementing many more cutting-edge and forward-thinking features for the backend systems with less dependency on full product integration.
- We actively contribute to open source projects such as FFmpeg, FFMS2, and L-SMASH. We also open-source internal tools and libraries when we deem them generally useful outside of Vimeo.
Working experience you should have:
- Codec-level development - H.264, HEVC, VP9, or related
- Audio and video pipeline development
- C or C++
- Computer science fundamentals (networking, operating system concepts)
- One or more higher-level languages such as Go, Python, or Java
- Experience with different video delivery methods (DASH, HLS, Progressive, etc...)
- Capable of writing consistent, readable, and maintainable code independently of any framework or 3rd-party library
- Awareness of current video trends such as HDR, Live, VR, and 360 Video
- Strong portfolio or public code (Github, Bitbucket, etc...)
- Passion around continuous education, research, and development around the latest multimedia technologies.
- Creative thinker who can take traditional software development practices and pull from them the aspects that will work best for Vimeo
Candidates that meet many but not all of the skill requirements are still encouraged to apply!
Vimeo empowers creators with the best tools to manage, share, and sell videos, while providing a leading consumer entertainment destination for innovative programming. We’re home to the world’s most imaginative videos and the hundreds of millions of viewers who love them.
Vimeo is rapidly growing our three core lines of business: the Creator Platform (premium video hosting and creator tools), VHX (OTT Services), and Entertainment (the consumer-facing video marketplace). We’re a team of over 200 creative, passionate individuals headquartered in New York City, and we’re looking for smart and talented people of all backgrounds to join our team and build the next generation of great video products for creators and audiences.
Founded in 2004 and based in New York City, Vimeo, Inc. is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IACI).