The Vimeo Player is not only the prettiest way to experience video online, it’s also a hefty technical challenge. Delivering a quality and consistent experience thousands of times per second, across any device, is what the Player Team is all about. The Player Core Team is the authority on maintaining the Vimeo video playback experience, but will also strongly influence and advise the TV, mobile, and native playback experiences. New video delivery technology, player feature improvement, maintenance, and monitoring will all fall under this Lead's purview.
WHAT YOU’LL DO:
- Be part of a world class group of engineers who build Vimeo’s video playback solutions
- Work closely with Product management to develop and improve the Vimeo viewer experience across any and all devices, from phones to TVs
- Work closely with Transcoding and Delivery teams and external CDN vendors to maintain and optimize a seamless video playback experience everywhere
- Evaluate and test new video delivery technologies and player optimizations.
- Build SDKS for tvOS, iOS, Android TV, Android platforms
- Integrate and analyze video playback analytics solutions to continually optimize video playback performance
SKILLS & KNOWLEDGE YOU SHOULD POSSESS:
- 3+ years of hands-on experience with process, organization and development of engineering teams
- A solid understanding of HTTP/HTTP/2/MSE/EME specs
- Proven experience with different video delivery methods (DASH, HLS, Progressive etc.).
- Strong knowledge of video performance metrics with a proven history of making data driven decisions
- Passion around continuous education, research, and development around the latest video technologies.
- Willing to work outside of textbook norms. Creative thinker who can take traditional software development practices and pull from them the aspects that will work best for Vimeo
- You should have a great sense of humor and a relaxed presence but take your job seriously and approach your work with a sense of urgency
- Top notch communication skills (written and verbal)
- BS or MS in a Computer Science related field, or equivalent technical experience
- Consistently keeping up with current video trends such as Live, VR, WebGL and 360 Video
- Strong portfolio or public code (Github, Bitbucket, etc.)
About the Video Engineering team:
The Video Engineering team spans across Upload, Transcoding, and Player; with a cross functional team focused on creating the highest quality video experiences for creators and viewers. Within Vimeo, it is the core component to the growth of the business, and long term innovation around video. The team’s focus is to experiment with new and creative solutions to some of the biggest questions facing video experiences for today and the future.
Vimeo’s mission is to empower creators to make, share and sell amazing videos directly to viewers worldwide, in the highest quality possible and with no interruptive advertising. Vimeo is home to the world’s leading video creators and the hundreds of millions of viewers who love them. We’d love to welcome you to both our team, and our community.
Founded in 2004 and based in New York City, Vimeo, Inc is an operating business of IAC (NASDAQ: IACI).