VICE is the world’s preeminent youth media company and content creation studio. Launched in 1994, VICE now operates in over 30 countries and distributes its programming to hundreds of millions of viewers each month across digital, linear, mobile, film and socials. VICE includes an international network of digital channels; a television and feature film production studio; a magazine; a record label; an in-house creative services agency; a book-publishing division; and a newly launched TV network in a joint venture with Rogers called VICELAND.
VICE's award-winning programming has been recognized by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Peabody Awards, Canadian Screen Award, Sundance Film Festival, PEN Center, Cannes Lions, Frontline Club, Knight Foundation, American Society of Magazine Editors, LA Press Club, and Webby Awards, among others.
JOB TITLE: Researcher (investigative television documentary series) – 6 month contract
REPORTS TO: Series Producer/Production Manager
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Critically conduct analyses and research for investigative television documentary series
- Produce accurate and effective backgrounders with analyses and summaries of ideas
- Find and research interview subjects and locations
- Generate, contribute and pitch creative, innovative ideas and interview subjects around content and episodes
- Identify relevant data, contributors, locations or archive material etc.
- Adhere to journalistic standards and practices
- Fact-check research and interview subjects
- Support production team in field and office
- Check copyright and arrange permissions to use archive material
- Effectively collate and manage data, and research
- Ensure legal, compliance and copyright requirements are met
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Research, International relations, International security, Political Science or Cultural Anthropology.
- 2+ years experience in television production
- Knowledge of television documentary series pre-production and post-production
- Excellent knowledge of and passionate about current events and international geopolitics
- Current knowledge of the relevant legislation, regulations, and associated procedures, including copyright, data protection, public liability, etc. and how to comply with regulatory requirements
- Able to work well under pressure and tight deadlines
- Organizational and precise attention to detail
- Advanced research and analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good knowledge of statistics and interpretation of statistics
- Ability to develop and research stories independently
- Ability to work effectively on a team.
- -Demonstrate initiative, resourcefulness and independent judgement
- Willingness to work flexible hours over different time zones
- Candidates may be subject to skills and knowledge testing
***This job description is a general description of essential job functions. It is not intended as an employment contract, nor is it intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of Vice Media are expected to perform tasks assigned by supervisory personnel, regardless of job title or routine job duties***
If you do not hear back from us within one month of applying then unfortunately your application has been unsuccessful. Thank you once again for applying and we wish you success in your future career.