VICE is the world’s preeminent youth media company and content creation studio. Launched in 1994, VICE now operates in over 30 countries and distributes its programming to hundreds of millions of viewers each month across digital, linear, mobile, film and socials. VICE includes an international network of digital channels; a television and feature film production studio; a magazine; a record label; an in-house creative services agency; a book-publishing division; and a newly launched TV network in a joint venture with Rogers called VICELAND.
VICE's award-winning programming has been recognized by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Peabody Awards, Canadian Screen Award, Sundance Film Festival, PEN Center, Cannes Lions, Frontline Club, Knight Foundation, American Society of Magazine Editors, LA Press Club, and Webby Awards, among others.
JOB TITLE: Researcher (television documentary series) – 6 month contract
REPORTS TO: Series Producer/Production Manager
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Critically conduct analyses and research for television documentary series
- Produce accurate and effective backgrounders with analyses and summaries of ideas
- Find and research interview subjects, characters and locations
- Generate, contribute and pitch creative, innovative ideas, characters and subjects around content and episodes
- Identify relevant data, contributors, locations or archive material etc.
- Adhere to journalistic standards and practices
- Fact-check research and interview subjects
- Checking copyright and arranging permissions to use archive material
- Identify relevant data, contributors, locations or archive material etc. collate and assess information from various sources, and ensure that legal, compliance and copyright requirements are met
- Bachelor degree preferably in Journalism, Research, Sociology, Media Studies, or related field
- 2+ years of television production experience
- Knowledge of pre-production and post-production of television documentary series
- Current knowledge of the relevant legislation, regulations, and associated procedures, including copyright, data protection, public liability, etc. and how to comply with regulatory requirements
- Able to work well under pressure and meet deadlines
- Organizational and precise attention to detail
- Advanced analytical skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Good knowledge of statistics and interpretation of statistics
- Ability to develop and research stories independently
- Ability to work effectively on a team.
***This job description is a general description of essential job functions. It is not intended as an employment contract, nor is it intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of Vice Media are expected to perform tasks assigned by supervisory personnel, regardless of job title or routine job duties***
If you do not hear back from us within one month of applying then unfortunately your application has been unsuccessful. Thank you once again for applying and we wish you success in your future career.