VICE is the world’s preeminent youth media company and content creation studio. Launched in 1994, VICE now operates in over 30 countries and distributes its programming to hundreds of millions of viewers each month across digital, linear, mobile, film and socials. VICE includes an international network of digital channels; a television and feature film production studio; a magazine; a record label; an in-house creative services agency; a book-publishing division; and a newly launched TV network in a joint venture with Rogers called VICELAND.
VICE's award-winning programming has been recognized by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Peabody Awards, Sundance Film Festival, PEN Center, Cannes Lions, Frontline Club, Knight Foundation, American Society of Magazine Editors, LA Press Club, and Webby Awards, among others.
JOB TITLE: Associate Producer (investigative documentary series) – 6 month contract
REPORTS TO: Series Producer/Production Manager
OVERVIEW: VICE Media is seeking a creative, innovative and experienced investigative television series Associate Producer who is passionate about geopolitics and documentary to join the production team, based out of our Toronto office.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Generate, contribute, develop and pitch creative and innovative ideas around content, interview subjects and episodes for an international investigative television documentary series
- Accurately and critically research, prepare and write backgrounders
- Source and book original and creative international locations as well as well as identify special requirements such as audio, lighting etc.
- Source and book original interview subjects
- Develop and maintain contacts
- Accurately and critically prepare lines of questioning and conduct pre-interviews
- Adhere to journalistic standards and practices
- Fact-check episodes in pre and post production
- Accurate clearance of all material used in the series
- Support the production team in office and on international locations
- Monitor postproduction processes to ensure accurate completion of details
- Facilitate marketing and promotion coordination
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Media, International Relations or a related field
- 2+ years of experience in Associate Producer role in documentary or television documentary series
- Experience working with journalists or television production crews in international locations and/or hostile regions
- Excels in planning, organization and coordination
- Passion for and excellent knowledge of geopolitics and current events
- Understanding of the VICE style and tone as well ensuring implementation
- Accurate, enterprising and inquisitive approach to fact gathering
- Well organized and experienced in logistics and location planning
- Ability to work flexible hours and across time zones
- Ability to communicate internationally and cross-culturally
- Ability to deal with quickly changing priorities and meet deadlines
- Detailed orientated and highly organized
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to write effectively for TV
- Candidates may be subject to skills and experience testing.
***This job description is a general description of essential job functions. It is not intended as an employment contract, nor is it intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of Vice Media are expected to perform tasks assigned by supervisory personnel, regardless of job title or routine job duties***
If you do not hear back from us within one month of applying then unfortunately your application has been unsuccessful. Thank you once again for applying and we wish you success in your future career.