VICE is the world’s preeminent youth media company and content creation studio. Launched in 1994, VICE now operates in over 30 countries and distributes its programming to hundreds of millions of viewers each month across digital, linear, mobile, film and socials. VICE includes an international network of digital channels; a television and feature film production studio; a magazine; a record label; an in-house creative services agency; a book-publishing division; and a newly launched TV network in a joint venture with Rogers called VICELAND.
VICE's award-winning programming has been recognized by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Peabody Awards, Canadian Screen Award, Sundance Film Festival, PEN Center, Cannes Lions, Frontline Club, Knight Foundation, American Society of Magazine Editors, LA Press Club, and Webby Awards, among others.
JOB TITLE: Staff Writer, VICE.com (6 month contract)
REPORTS TO: Managing Editor, VICE.com
OVERVIEW: VICE.com Canada is looking for a staff writer for our Toronto office. We want someone who has a meticulous reporting skill set, but also an original voice that needs to be heard. An ideal candidate is tapped into unexplored subcultures and is really serious about the absurd. This is an exceptional opportunity to be part of a growing media organization and reach a national and international audience daily.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Write approximately five stories a week
- Assist with ideation for larger, team-based projects
- Copy edit stories as needed
- Occasionally assist with CMS and art
- Work in a collaborative environment
- Any other additional tasks as required
- University or College degree in related field
- At least one to three years of experience writing daily copy
- A background in journalism is preferred, but not a requirement
- A strong social media presence is an asset
- Video production experience an asset
***This job description is a general description of essential job functions. It is not intended as an employment contract, nor is it intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of Vice Media are expected to perform tasks assigned by supervisory personnel, regardless of job title or routine job duties***
If you do not hear back from us within one month of applying then unfortunately your application has been unsuccessful. Thank you once again for applying and we wish you success in your future career.