The “Publicist” will assist the “Senior Communications Manager” in performing multiple duties related to promoting VICE’s news divisions which include: VICENews.com, ‘VICE News Tonight’ the Emmy award-winning half-hour nightly newscast and the multi award-winning ‘VICE’ on HBO weekly current affairs series.
- Help develop and assist in the execution of the communications strategy for VICE News programming, proactively pitch media appearances and stories as well as responding to inbound requests.
- Secure daily press coverage on television, radio, print, and digital outlets.
- Collaborate with members of the Communications team on agenda and long-term projects
- Produce communications materials, including media alerts and pitches on deadline
- Identify appropriate opportunities to push VICE News content and maintain internal planning document
- Assist with award submissions throughout the year
- Staff VICE News related screenings, panels and events, and manage attending press.
Desired Skills and Experience
- Bachelor’s Degree required ideally in communications, marketing or journalism
- 3 years or more of television, entertainment, journalism or communications experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to multitask in a fast-paced news environment
- Broad understanding of US media, a strong sense of what makes a good feature or news angle, and a varied contact list across the media landscape.
- Established relationships with producers, and bookers across the media spectrum
- The ability to work quickly and effectively, often managing several projects under deadline.
- Must be detail-oriented.
- Knowledge of VICE News brand and wider VICE properties is essential
- Knowledge of public-relations software i.e Cision
If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless otherwise indicated, VICE does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes.