VICE News is looking for a Researcher to join our production team. Applicants should have a strong journalism background and experience doing in-depth research that involves academic journals, databases, technical manuals, and expert sources. Researchers will be tasked with tracing information back to its primary source, confirming its validity, and presenting it to producers in a form that can be used on air. Our stories cover diverse topics and often must be completed on tight deadlines. Successful applicants should be able to demonstrate that they have experience gathering information quickly, can understand complicated subjects in a short period of time, and can work on multiple stories at once. A strong interest in investigative reporting is a must. Fluency in foreign languages is a plus, but not required.
This job is for insatiably curious and naturally nerdy reporters who enjoy working collaboratively.
Experience and Qualifications
- Ability to work under deadline in a fast-paced environment.
- Extensive reporting experience using a variety of different sources. Applicants will asked to demonstrate this experience by providing work samples.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills. Researchers must be able to clearly and concisely explain complicated issues to our producers in short period of time.
- Experience with fact-checking. Successful applicants must be able to demonstrate extensive fact-checking experience.
- Experience with FOIA requests.
- Experience with public record searches. Particularly with court records, 990s, and corporate filings.
- Experience with searching through databases like LexisNexis and Factiva.
- A strong sense of story. Researchers will often we asked to supply supplemental information for stories that are already in the works. This means that researchers need to understand what type of information is required for documentary film formats and for broadcast news formats.
- Researchers must feel comfortable gathering information about a wide variety of subjects. However, researchers will often be asked to revisit topics that are commonly covered on our programs. Applicants who have demonstrable experience reporting on any of those topics are highly desired. Those topics include climate change, energy, the defense industry, human rights, US foreign aid, criminal justice, drug trafficking, campaign finance, and medical innovations.
- Previous work with data analysis is highly desired, although not required.
- Fluency in a foreign language is also highly desired. Particularly Russian, Mandarin, Arabic, or French.
If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless otherwise indicated, VICE does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes.