Reporting to the Executive Producer of VICE News Tonight, the Supervising Producer is responsible for every aspect of the team’s video output, from pitching to development, to scripting, to oversight in post production.
The Supervising Producer is responsible for editorial decisions in all steps of production, with a special focus on guiding the teams out in the field. The role requires the ability to oversee multiple productions and crew to meet tight deadlines. The role is responsible for maintaining a high standard of journalistic and documentary quality for all of VICE News’ content. The right candidate will have extensive documentary, current affairs, and news production experience; be confident managing multiple projects at any one time; manage a team of associate producers, producers, and correspondents; and have the patience and flexibility to operate in a fluid and busy environment with challenging shoots.
Roles and Responsibilities:
- Report directly into the Executive Producer, VICE News Tonight
- Manage the Features team on all aspects of production
- Discuss, develop, and evaluate story ideas and pitches with team members and outside parties
- Support producers and production-related decisions
- Collaborate with senior producers in the deployment of teams to cover breaking news domestically and internationally
- Guide the daily editorial direction of the show
- Work directly with the graphics team to execute thoughtful storytelling
- Must be able to write clear, concise, creative copy for broadcast TV and support producers and editors in writing script and giving final approval
- Must be familiar with creating and organizing show rundowns and assembling a show in post production; manage edit calendar and ensure that deadlines are met
- Maintain quality control all aspects of video content, ensuring that all steps of licensing, fact-checking, and QC-ing have been followed according to VICE News’ standards
- Work directly with the technical director while assembling the program (both on tape and live)
- Ensure daily production of the daily news show meets critical deadlines and show-length requirements
- Oversee live play-out of show to ensure editorial and technical fluidity
Experience and Qualifications:
- Ability to work under deadline in a breaking news environment
- Must have at least 8+ years of experience in live television (cable shows, broadcast TV, etc), print, or radio
- Must have at least 8+ years of technical skills in news production including creating show rundowns
- Experience managing a team of junior to senior level producers and correspondents
- Must be willing and able to work flexible hours, some weekends and holidays
If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless otherwise indicated, VICE does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes.