The Data Modeler will own the process through which a mass of data is separated into a structure that makes it intelligible to the binary processes of computers and useful to VICE media. This is a critical role in translating existing business needs into the information required to deliver data mapping solutions. The role will be a key leader across multiple projects working with the Data Architect in understanding architectural directions, gathering and analyzing business requirements, and developing the appropriate data structures. In addition, the role will have significant influence in data warehouse designs and Enterprise-shared data initiatives. This position will play a key role in the transition from traditional database modeling to a maintainable metadata/data dictionary, analytics environment ensuring a foundation to deliver information to internal consumers at all levels in the organization.
- Consult, facilitate understanding and translate data requirements into logical, physical and semantic layer models across the analytical data environment.
- Ensure data structures are designed for flexibility to support future business needs.
- Collaborate with systems owners on analytics representation for new and evolving data, driving prioritization while ensuring business needs are technically documented and met.
- Profile and analyze source system data to determine data relationships, design constructs, consistency and quality.
- Enable and lead analytics user community in the understanding, location and selection of appropriate data sources to achieve key business goals
- Ensure that data designs follow architectural best practices and appropriate business rules
- Create and Maintain critical data documentation and metadata that allows data to be understood and leveraged as a shared asset.
- Analyze and evaluate data definition and modeling environment providing key recommendations for improvement. Assist in defining data modeling standards, and foundational best practices.
- Identify gaps and opportunities with regard to data governance and data ownership, and provide recommendations for improvements incorporating best practices.
- Facilitate understanding of high quality data management discipline throughout the corporation
- Work with the Data architect to enhance/establish data stewardship and data quality management programs.
- Develop and maintain relationships across IT and across the business with special focus on roles that are heavy consumers of data for analytical purposes.
- Be one of the first responders to cross-systems and data QA initiatives, ensuring technical implementation matches business requirements.
- A bachelor's degree with an emphasis on computer or information science or applied mathematics
- Good in data representation; computer architecture and organization
- 2+ year practical DB design experience
If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless otherwise indicated, VICE does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes.