Co-reporting to the Director of Global Content Distribution and the General Counsel, the Director of Legal Affairs, Global Content Distribution will oversee the drafting and negotiation of contracts related to the distribution of VICE’s media offerings (film, TV, digital, etc.) across all platforms including OTT, mobile, and more. This person will be responsible for drafting and negotiating contracts with distribution and content partners (including MVPDs, SVOD providers, device manufacturers, pay TV partners, wireless carriers/aggregators, film studios, networks, etc.) for the distribution of all VICE’s content and is responsible for hitting the distribution revenue goals established by the company. They will manage relationships with existing clients and develop and establish relationships with new entrants. This person will demonstrate expertise related to deal structuring on all new digital platforms, and represent VICE’s strategy externally and internally.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Negotiate and draft content distribution deals, 3rd party deals, and intercompany deals across all platforms
- Assist VP, Global Content Distribution with the development and implementation of strategies to increase distribution of VICE’s content and services
- Assist VP, Global Content Distribution with establishing a distribution strategy, ensure rights and windows are maintained in line with strategy, and manage budget in collaboration with commercial and content owners, and drafting the necessary documents related to such strategies.
- Work closely with mobile, TV, News, SVOD & OTT, and Digital leads day-to-day
JD with at least 3 years experience in transactional legal practice related to multi-platform audiovisual content distribution.
Qualifications and Experience
The ideal candidate will be a broad-based transactional lawyer with strong academic credentials and successful leadership experience related to the structuring, drafting and negotiation of contracts for multiplatform audiovisual content distribution. The individual will be dynamic, energetic, teamwork oriented and have a demonstrated record of success in implementing and managing finance functions through periods of rapid growth.
Specifically, our best candidate will have:
- 3+ years of experience working as a lawyer across media and content distribution
- Experience in film distribution across all windows: theatrical, premium TV, cable window, and international
- Transactional legal experience in linear television distribution a plus; experience in direct-to-consumer offerings a plus
- International experience a plus
- Experience across all content distribution platforms including SVOD, AVOD, pay TV, film distribution, etc.
- Hands-on involvement at multiple levels of and throughout the organization
- Ability to manage, motivate and develop other professionals
- Strong presentation skills and ability to communicate within the Company at all levels.
The successful candidate will be driven by the desire to help the Company as a whole to reach its business and financial objectives. She or he will be a self-starter, and have strong written, verbal, interpersonal and communication skills. Specific personal characteristics include:
- Ability to thrive in a team-work oriented environment. At the same time, be able to engage in vigorous debate while always treating others with the highest level of mutual respect. Bring unselfish, “ego-less” attitude to the team.
- Strong manager and mature leader, who can develop positive morale among employees while creating an environment that stimulates a sense of ownership and results in increased productivity, creativity and efficiency.
- Willing to roll up his or her sleeves to assist in getting the job done in a timely fashion, and to overcome unexpected obstacles.
- Maintain an environment which fosters and rewards continuous learning and innovation.
- Demonstrates excellent business judgment and the ability to plan and meet deadlines; ability to grasp concepts quickly.
- Highly analytical mindset, with ability to sort through complex issues and translate and communicate them in a clear, concise manner to internal and external stakeholders.
- Works well with all of the technologies relating to content production, distribution, communication, etc.
- Entrepreneurial. Motivated and effective in a fast paced and dynamic culture.
If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless otherwise indicated, VICE does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes.