VP, Legal & Business Affairs - Commercial, North America is a highly motivated, highly effective self-starter with a strong track record of successful negotiations of multi-layered deals and driving commercial business affairs in a fast-paced, diverse digital media environment. You are a strategic and pragmatic thinker, expert on overarching legal and business affairs and love when you close the deal. The position will include responsibility for the following:
- Manage and oversee deal flow, negotiation and execution for North American Vice + and Virtue teams.
- Structure, negotiate and draft complex commercial deals with major clients, oversee IO and media contracts, and all aspects of legal for execution of these deals (e.g. production, talent, location etc.).
- Provide timely and thoughtful legal advice on legal issues (such as intellectual property, contract, rights, clearance, and regulatory issues), evaluate potential risk, and propose practical, responsive solutions.
- Advise on client pitches, approaches, and FTC-related matters relating to branded content and advertising.
- Advise on sensitive advertising issues such as tobacco, alcohol and pharma and ensure overall legal and regulatory compliance relating to Vice+ and Virtue business.
- Maintain strong relationships with key constituencies in the digital media world.
- Partner with key business executives, as well as colleagues, to discuss and implement best practices and formulate new processes in connection with business needs.
- Drive cost efficiencies for the legal function
SKILLS & QUALIFICATIONS
- A lawyer with 7 -10 years’ combined experience at a law firm and big agency.
- Possess excellent negotiating, drafting, analytical, interpersonal, organizational, prioritizing and time management skills in a high-volume environment, and proven ability to lead negotiations with clients, agencies, and other industry partners
- Ability to build strong internal client relationships at all levels of the business, and effectively advise clients under conditions of uncertainty, high-pressure and/or high-risk and generate strong client satisfaction through quick turnaround and firm decision-making.
- Strong problem-solving skills, analytical orientation, and an ability to structure an issue and analyze alternative solutions.
- Demonstrated experience with advertising law, branded content and related contracts, including IOs.
- Desire to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, collaborative environment
- Sound business judgment, and flexibility/adaptability to manage multiple time-sensitive matters, including appropriately prioritizing among them.
- Demonstrated ability, in a positive and practical manner, to identify and resolve issues efficiently and effectively.
- An instinctive negotiator with an understanding of complex deals.
- A keen and hungry creative commercial thinker.
- Effective and diplomatic communicator and manager.
- Autonomous and readily assumes responsibility - is self-motivated and a natural multi-tasker
If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless otherwise indicated, VICE does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes.