VICE is the world’s preeminent youth media company and content creation studio. Launched in 1994, VICE now operates in over 30 countries and distributes its programming to hundreds of millions of viewers each month across digital, linear, mobile, film and socials. VICE includes an international network of digital channels; a television and feature film production studio; a magazine; a record label; an in-house creative services agency; a book-publishing division; and an international TV network, VICELAND.
VICE's award-winning programming has been recognized by the Academy of Television Arts & Sciences, Peabody Awards, Canadian Screen Award, Sundance Film Festival, PEN Center, Cannes Lions, Frontline Club, Knight Foundation, American Society of Magazine Editors, LA Press Club, and Webby Awards, among others.
JOB TITLE: Director of Development
REPORTS TO: SVP, Studio, Canada
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Develop new and ongoing original unscripted content to enhance and build VICE Studios global unscripted content pipeline
- Lead the development and presentation of premium original concepts externally to Canadian market and internationally for co-productions as part of VICE Studios global development slate
- Identify new talent, market trends and multiplatform specific needs; contributing to internal development strategy for VICE Studios Canada
- Oversee production of all development sizzles, demos and pilots
- Build and oversee the development of original market materials, inclusive of research, securing rights and clearances, presentation decks, and talent contracts
- Assist with all development to green-light projects, in cooperation with Head of Production and Series Producer
- Research and track broadcast, OTT and multiplatform trends across media landscape
- Maintain strong commissioner contact base
- Set financial and creative benchmarks for new development
- Cultivate a stable of series producers, directors and writers to execute new development
- Develop strong, trusting relationships with internal and external teams, partners and clients; with a goal to inform VICE Media business lines on new development and insights
- Maintain clear workflow and improved communication of the development pipeline across VICE Studios Canada
- Work with SVP, Studio, Canada to find opportunities to generate additional revenue with current clients
- Assemble presentations as required
- Minimum of 8+ years experience in a production role, with senior experience as a Series Producer or equivalent related position
- University or College degree, preferably in one of these areas of focus; film, liberal arts, media, business
- Familiarity with all aspects of video production and production budgets
- Familiarity of Canadian CAVCO requirements and funding regulations
- Track record of successful greenlights
- Continually drive for results and highest quality standard
- Highly developed interpersonal and communication skills
- Must be hard-working, determined, self-motivated
- Confident on Excel, Keynote/Power Point mandatory
- Strong computer skills and knowledge of other platforms
- Written and spoken French an asset
***This job description is a general description of essential job functions. It is not intended as an employment contract, nor is it intended to describe all duties someone in this position may perform. All employees of Vice Media are expected to perform tasks assigned by supervisory personnel, regardless of job title or routine job duties***
If you do not hear back from us within one month of applying then unfortunately your application has been unsuccessful. Thank you once again for applying and we wish you success in your future career.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement:
VICE provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, creed, colour, religion, gender, sex, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin, age, physical or mental disability, genetic predisposition or carrier status, military status, veteran status, and any other classification protected by law. For questions or concerns please contact email@example.com.
Vice strives to provide equal access to our premises and to communicate with individuals in a manner that is accessible to all of our customers, and respects the dignity and independence of people with disabilities. For questions or concerns please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.