Editorial Director, Lifestyle
The Editorial Director, Lifestyle, is a creative leader and skilled manager in the Vice Digital newsroom. This person is responsible for leading our coverage on relationships, sex, health, travel, parenting, money, work, and fitness. Reporting to the executive editor, culture & lifestyle, the editorial director will oversee a growing team that includes a deputy editor, senior editors, and staff writers. This person will collaborate closely with other editorial directors in the newsroom, as well as digital video and social teams, and should be comfortable managing a budget and an editorial calendar, working with the commercial side of the company, and coming up with big-picture ideas that’ll ensure VICE Digital’s lifestyle coverage enjoys plenty of breakout moments. This is a senior-level leadership role in the newsroom.
Primary responsibilities include:
● Work closely with executive editor and SVP, Digital, to help develop overarching digital strategy, and with the executive managing editor on editorial workflow/process and scheduling
● Oversee the deputy editor, senior editors, and staff writers on the Lifestyle team (expected to grow to 10+ people)
● Using a combination of data and sensibility, develop and iterate on editorial strategies across subject areas in the Lifestyle space
● Assign, edit, and top edit stories. Ideate big packages, video projects, and other editorial initiatives, and see them through to successful completion.
● Lead Lifestyle team in projects and collaborative ventures with digital video, Vice News Tonight, Viceland, and Vice Studios
● Working with editorial leaders, recruit and hire top-tier talent to ensure that Vice Digital is the strongest among its competitive set
● Liaise with global content partners as necessary to ensure a consistent global experience and collaboration where appropriate
● Work productively with Vice’s commercial division, and events and experiences teams
● Represent, as necessary, Vice both externally and internally as a leader in the organization.
● Partner with the legal, communications, and corporate strategy teams, as appropriate.
● Minimum of 5 years of journalism experience as a writer or story editor.
● 3 years of management experience supervising writers, editors, social editors
● A proven track record of creative editorial vision and execution at the highest levels across lifestyle journalism
● Robust management skills, an eye for editorial talent, and a track record of developing emerging talent in both written and video formats
● The highest journalistic and legal standards and a track record of implementation and
● A collaborative spirit, and the ability to work and lead across departments and global offices.
If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless otherwise indicated, VICE does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes.