VICE was launched in 1994 as a 'punk zine' and has since expanded into a leading global youth media company with bureaus in over 30 countries. VICE operates the world’s premier original online video destination, VICE.COM, an international network of digital channels, a television production studio, a magazine, a record label, an in-house creative services agency and a book-publishing division. VICE’s digital channels include Creators, dedicated to the arts and creativity, Motherboard, covering cultural happenings in technology, and Noisey, a music discovery channel. To date, VICE boasts over 60 established shows that cover everything from current events to sex to investigative reporting to music to kittens.
Editorial Director, Features | VICE Digital
VICE Digital’s Editorial Director, Features, is responsible for leading marquee storytelling across VICE's digital properties. Reporting to the executive editor, issues & tech, this person will offer creative vision for what a VICE feature should be, and bring strong management skills and editorial expertise to the team. They will lead a team of senior-level editors tasked to the features group, and work with editorial, video, and social teams across the newsroom to produce VICE Digital’s most ambitious work. They will push the entire staff to be more innovative, and be a resource for consistent feedback and growth.
Because this role works with multiple teams in multiple media, this person must be an experienced newsroom leader with a proven track record of both story and staff development. This individual is comfortable working with journalists who have a wide range of experience levels and interests.
- Work directly with reporters from pitch phase, through reporting and writing, and onto editing and other final story development.
- Work with social, design, multimedia, and marketing teams (as appropriate) to create packaging and publishing plans for each story.
- Work with video team to discuss potential video component of stories developed for the features desk.
- Lead features team in projects and collaborative ventures with digital video, Vice News Tonight, Viceland, and Vice Studios
- Ensure that goals and KPIs for each feature are clearly laid out during the pitch phase, and monitored through the rest of story execution.
- Manage features desk workflow, including programming calendar, deadlines, and budgeting.
- Lead features desk staff, including the editor-in-chief of VICE Magazine
- Liaise with global content partners as necessary to create an integrated international features experience
- Minimum of 7 years of journalism experience as a writer or story editor.
- 3 years of management experience supervising writers and editors
- A proven track record of commissioning and editing features, investigations, and multimedia projects
- Robust management skills, an eye for editorial talent, and top-notch editing skills
- The highest journalistic and legal standards and a track record of implementation and enforcement
- A collaborative spirit, and the ability to work and lead across departments and global offices.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.