VICE started in 1994 as a newsprint monthly in Montreal and is now a global youth media company that includes print, events, music, online, television, and feature film divisions that operates in over 30 countries. Motherboard is VICE’s science and technology site.
Launched by VICE in 2009, Motherboard reports on the companies and people who are working to build a better future—and those who are threatening it.
Motherboard is looking for a senior editor to shape and execute our coverage of the tech labor and unionization movements, and the open source community that has grown as an alternative to Big Tech's monopolies.
The candidate should have a proven ability to generate industry-shifting scoops, excellent sourcing in Silicon Valley (or a track record of cultivating sources in another industry and a desire to source up at big tech companies), and excellent writing and editing skills.
Senior editors are responsible for the vision, strategy, and execution of all coverage on their beat. The editor must strategize for both the daily and weekly content output and the long-term goals for covering their beat with a unique, useful and conversation-leading approach. The editor supervises a team of reporters and editors and must hone in on the best ways to use resources to carve out VICE’s voice in the space.
The editor will perform a myriad of editing duties, including serving as the primary editor on some pieces and top editing other editors’ stories. The editor should have a keen eye for editing sensitive stories, including working with anonymous sources and leaked documents.
The editor should think creatively about formats, always looking for the best way to tell any given story, and seek opportunities to collaborate with the multiplatform, multimedia and video teams.
A senior editor will be judged on the following criteria:
- The editorial quality of the work they edit, including an assessment of style, standards, craft, and ability to develop unique coverage in their beat.
- Ability to select conversation-leading stories and angles, with an eye on publishing exclusives. Recruiting a diverse stable of talented staffers and freelancers and ensuring adherence to VICE’s journalistic policies.
- Managing their team with strong mentorship and empathy.
- Communicating and collaborating regularly with other section editors and the executive editorial leadership team to ensure consistent coverage across teams.
- How their coverage performs in terms of influence, engagement, and traffic.
- Ability to be flexible in formats, and a good understanding of what our audience finds most useful.
- Ability to lead brainstorming sessions and other creative processes.
- Ability to work effectively with a positive attitude in a team setting.
- Strong writing voice and excellent editing skills
- Ability to assign, edit, and publish accurate, industry-leading stories that drive the national conversation in the beat
- Excellent reporting and source management and protection skills
- Ability and experience editing stories with a variety of sourcing including FOIA and leaked documents as well as anonymous and sensitive sources
- Ability to recruit and work with freelance writers
- Well-versed in encrypted messaging techniques
- Background in reporting and newsgathering
- Professional experience using a CMS
- A previous position on a website’s editorial staff
VICE offers a comprehensive benefits and compensation package that is commensurate with experience and abilities. VICE editorial staff is represented by the Writer’s Guild of America East, a labor union representing writers in motion pictures, television, cable, digital media and broadcast news.
VICE editorial staff is represented by the Writer’s Guild of America East, a labor union representing writers in motion pictures, television, cable, digital media and broadcast news.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.