VICE was launched in 1994 as a 'punk zine' and has since expanded into a leading global youth media company with bureaus in over 30 countries. VICE operates the world’s premier original online video destination, VICE.COM, an international network of digital channels, a television production studio, a magazine, a record label, an in-house creative services agency and a book-publishing division. VICE’s digital channels include Creators, dedicated to the arts and creativity, Motherboard, covering cultural happenings in technology, and Noisey, a music discovery channel. To date, VICE boasts over 60 established shows that cover everything from current events to sex to investigative reporting to music to kittens.
Deputy Editor, GARAGE
As Deputy Editor, this role would be writing and top-editing articles for style, length and ensuring that the GARAGE has a consistent voice, leading to traffic and revenue growth.
- Direct daily news coverage on digital
- Write, solicit and edit long-form features for digital, including think pieces that can be optimized across VICE social
- Top edit long-form features solicited by other editors for digital
- Write and edit features designed to accompany motion content
- GARAGE print magazine ideation
- Writing and edit GARAGE's bi-yearly print publication
- Oversee a cohesive voice between GARAGE print magazine content and digital optimization
- Maintaining and building relationships with writers and creatives across GARAGE's digital and print platforms
- Building out digital tentpoles for on-going content pillars and digital content packages
- Strategize coverage for major events, including fashion weeks and award season as well as art exhibitions, openings, parties, etc.
- Oversite and performance control across VICE traffic monitoring platforms. (Chartbeat, GA, etc.)
- Maintain organization within the web lineup
- At least 5 years of experience in art or fashion journalism
- Candidate should have experience in both digital and print editorial
- Bachelors degree
- At least 1 year of experience managing a department
VICE offers a comprehensive benefits and compensation package that is commensurate with experience and abilities. VICE editorial staff is represented by the Writer’s Guild of America East, a labor union representing writers in motion pictures, television, cable, digital media and broadcast news.
VICE editorial staff is represented by the Writer’s Guild of America East, a labor union representing writers in motion pictures, television, cable, digital media and broadcast news.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.