VICE is looking for an experienced, technical, self-motivated product manager to oversee a team managing VICE’s API, CMS and other internal systems that power all of VICE’s consumer experiences. We’re seeking someone with strong technical chops who will delight in being in the weeds with our developers—focusing on architecture, performance, maintainability and extensibility, as well as great user experience. This leader, along with their direct reports, would be responsible for VICE’s most critical products.
API - As VICE has evolved its services oriented architecture, our suite of microservices has become a core product in of itself and enables all the experiences on our owned and operated platforms. The API houses business and editorial logic and is the nervecenter of our entire ecosystem and platform. The Head of Internal Product would take on management of the API, and be expected to lead design and implementation of its growth and iteration. Since this product touches all others, the job would require deep interaction with all other PMs as well as executive stakeholders. The successful candidate will ensure that the API and backend engineering teams are positioned to execute on the product roadmap across areas as diverse as content metadata and search, to user identity and data syndication. The simple metric for success being that the API skates out ahead of the rest of our product roadmap and enables the features and endpoints that power VICE’s growth.
Data - Data as a product - with VICE’s expanding suite of microservices and tools - data driven applications become more important in servicing the business and the user. From analytics powered personalization and recommendation systems to delivery of diverse syndication workflows - ownership of the data platform is a core responsibility.
CMS - VICE’s internally developed CMS, BACKSTAGE - powers our global editorial and video operation. The Head of Internal product would oversee the team building and managing the CMS. The measure of success is to serve internal users and build the most efficient and frictionless content creation and management suite in the industry.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Utilize qualitative and quantitative research techniques and user testing to define a clear product vision.
- Create and maintain a product roadmap and act as subject matter expert on our internal systems.
- Gather requirements, prioritize features and maintain a backlog for one or more products.
- Successfully lead and manage a team of direct reports.
- Facilitate communication throughout the entire development process, by working with internal teams and external stakeholders, to ensure organizational support and buy-in.
- Understands how to translate deeply technical product requirements and operate with engineers on a technical level to preserve the scalability and uptime of our core internal systems.
- Work efficiently with a team of developer, designers and user experience experts, cultivating a strong, collaborative working environment.
- Define and track metrics for success, ensuring the team is clear on their objectives every step of the way.
- Effectively work with remote teams.
- 3 - 7 years professional experience as a technical PM or developer working on digital products.
- Experience working with backend engineering teams, ideally with previous development experience.
- Expert ability to convey technical and engineering concerns to non-technical stakeholders.
- Experience with scaling architectures and systems to a global, multi-lingual audiences.
- Proven track record of defining, launching and iterating best-in-class products.
- Demonstrated success using data-driven decision making, as well as design thinking.
- Excellent communication and listening skills.
- Otherworldly attention to detail.
- Experience working with diverse teams of engineers, designers, and QA within an Agile framework.
- Proficient project management skills and ability to drive teams to meet aggressive deadlines.
- Proficient with software development and documentation tools such as Confluence, JIRA, Github and standard measurement platforms such as Google Analytics
- Experience with relevant API design patterns and architectures.
If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless otherwise indicated, VICE does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes.