VICE is currently seeking a Planning Producer for VICE News Tonight. The ideal candidate will be an established documentary/news/nonfiction producer with robust political and policy reporting experience and a proven track record of accomplishments. The candidate must have a clear understanding of our show and our style of storytelling. Sample work/links are required, as is a full resume and professional references. The Producer must have experience working on an assignment desk, pitching ideas and carrying those through to completion, as well as accepting and excelling on assignments. In this role, the Planning Producer will also help the Bureau Chief coordinate with the New York planning desk on assignments as well as updating the office calendar with notable events and shoot schedules. The Producer must also have a vested interest in politics and 2020 coverage, since they will help organize that coverage for VICE News Tonight.
Producer must be accountable to a budget and is responsible for factual and legal concerns in their own pieces. Producer is required to be hands on at every step, from conception through pre-production and into post-production and delivery.
In your application, please include a brief cover letter and 3 specific pitches for stories that you could produce and that would work on our platform. Due to the number of applicants we cannot respond to every application.
- Pitch, research, report and produce stories that will appear on VICE News Tonight
- Be able to work independently as well as with correspondents, and other producers, on long form stories that fit our show’s model of storytelling
- Demonstrate strong writing ability and clear, concise thinking.
- Maintain 2020 Google doc with events calendar and maintain a 2020 candidates and contacts database
- Spend at least two days a week on 2020 reporting (calls, lunches, contacts, etc)
- Day-of package producing one or two days each week, then flex day one or two days a week.
- Join some planning calls, and coordinate with NY’s planning desk.
- Help track pitches and stories
- Intern coordinator
- Establish and maintain contacts; develop sources; and be able to make appropriate news gathering calls and secure interviews and access of the highest level
- Oversee both field and in-house production of stories
- 3 to 5 years of proven experience in production at well regarded networks/cable networks/digital production companies/or equivalent.
- Extensive knowledge of television news and documentary film production.
- Strong editorial professional ethics.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Working knowledge of Mac computer systems.
- Ability to deal with multiple and changing priorities.
- Must be detail oriented and highly organized.
- Willing to work long hours, weekends and holidays.
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally as needed, sometimes at the last minute.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.