**Please note, this role is not officially approved and open at this time. This role is being posted to create a pipeline for opportunities in the near future.
VICE News is looking for an editor to lead our digital breaking news coverage. The position is a blend of assigning, editing, and leading a staff of several general assignment reporters.
We’re looking for an editor who wants to make a regular impact on some of the world’s biggest stories, who is passionate about getting new information into the world, and who cares deeply about turning out great prose and great digital presentations.
You will have a track record of editing dynamic coverage on major stories and should have experience leading reporters in the field. The position primarily focuses on editing text stories; video or audio experience is not necessary, but a strong dream to craft content in those formats is required. This is a visual newsroom, so this position requires close collaboration with our digital video teams and our HBO shows.
Roles and responsibilities:
- You have 4+ years experience editing at a major news outlet
- You're helping to lead and mentor our reporting staff
- You will edit breaking news, day stories, and enterprise pieces
- You will coordinate with staff outside of the office and freelancers
- You will ensure our journalism meets the highest standards
- Experience as an editor at a major news outlet
- Proven history of editing impact stories on big topics
- Experience managing reporters is preferred
- Experience with social media and digital presentation is required
- Highly attuned B.S. detector
- Relentlessness about getting new information into the world
If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
- Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless otherwise indicated, VICE does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes.