You’ll be responsible for writing and editing copy for VICE’s social platforms (Snapchat, Instagram Stories, etc). This includes editing existing VICE articles to optimise for socials, as well as ideating and writing original social series and franchises in the VICE voice and style. You’ll also be tasked with crafting witty headlines, teasers, shares, and CTAs.
You’ll work with the motion graphics team as well as the short form video team to seamlessly combine editorial and design and bring VICE editorial and video to life on socials.
This is a good opportunity for a junior person with strong social media skills to break into the journalism field.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Have a strong working knowledge of Snapchat and Instagram and understand how young people (and other publishers) use the platforms. Leverage these best practices to grow the VICE Socials audience.
- Copy edit a wide range of articles from the VICE ecosystem—from short news pieces to in-depth investigations—into a condensed format for VICE’s social platforms.
- Write original Snapchat and Instagram content in the VICE voice, including short articles as well as witty Shares, Polls, Games, and Quizzes.
- Write headlines, sells, and CTAs targeting VICE’s young, engaged audience with humor and wit to maximize click-through and engagement with stories.
- Help copy edit all Instagram stories and Snapchat editions to quality check for spelling, grammar, etc.
- Monitor trends and be able to identify what 13 to 24-year-olds are interested in and how they consume content online.
- Use social media judgment and data to curate stories for VICE Snapchat and Instagram across VICE network
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field; newsroom experience a huge plus
- Quick and accurate writing and copy editing skills; knowledge of AP style
- Exceptionally strong headline writing chops
- Expert Snapchat and Instagram user as well as all other social platforms
- 2-3 years experience in journalism, social media or newsroom experience at a major media company
- Strong writing voice that fits with the VICE tone
- Keen observer of media and culture trends, specifically for teens
- Familiarity with Chartbeat, Google Analytics, Instagram and reporting data from these platforms a plus
If you require a reasonable accommodation during the application and selection process, please let us know. We will work together to best meet your needs.
Equal Employment Opportunities: VICE is proud to be an equal opportunity employer that strives to create and maintain a workplace that celebrates inclusion and diversity. At VICE, we understand that inclusion and diversity is a major benefit to our employees, our readers and viewers, and our company culture. We treat all applicants and employees fairly without regard to age, alienage or citizenship status, color, disability, gender, gender identity and expression, marital status and partnership status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion/creed, sexual orientation, arrest or conviction record, caregiver status, credit history, unemployment status, salary history, status as a victim of domestic violence, stalking and sex offenses, status as a veteran or active military service member, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
VICE requires that all employees have proper authorization to work in the U.S. Should an applicant require employment sponsorship, VICE will determine, in its sole discretion, whether such sponsorship will be provided.
Qualified applicants with criminal histories will be considered for employment in a manner consistent with the New York City Fair Chance Act or other applicable laws.
*Qualified candidates must be able to perform the essential functions of this position satisfactorily, with or without a reasonable accommodation. The requirements and essential functions described above are not an exhaustive list and instead are meant to describe the general nature and level of work required of the job. VICE reserves the right to modify the essential functions of this position where a legitimate business exists.
To all recruitment agencies: Unless otherwise indicated, VICE does not accept agency resumes and is not responsible for any fees or expenses related to such unsolicited resumes.