Senior Data Scientist
Location: NYC Office or Fully Remote
Vic.ai is creating the “Intelligent Accounting” era, using artificial intelligence to automate accounting and provide advisory, business insight, and eventually business foresight.
We’re a Series A stage start-up, founded by three Norwegian entrepreneurs and backed by renowned Silicon Valley investors (including Costanoa Ventures, Cowboy Ventures, and GGV Capital). We’re US-based, but our team is global, from New Zealand to California. We’re bringing AI to Finance and Accounting because the industry is ripe for automation and big-data insight and the market is huge: $200B just in the US.
We have two main office locations, New York and Oslo. We have a well established remote-work culture, and over 50% of our team has worked fully remotely since we started.
You’ve been a software engineer for 5+ years, but you’ve been a tinkerer and a builder your whole life. We’re a team of builders—when we aren’t building Vic.ai, we’re tinkering with a personal project, contributing to open source, modding a drone, building a computer from components, etc.
You know a great data pipeline from a standard one, because you started out building textbook ones, and learned through experience all the things that make a pipeline robust, transparent, and scalable.
You’re ready for the next step in your career, ready to take on fast-moving challenges. You’re enthusiastic about AI and the possibilities it opens for software development and transforming traditional work. You aim at reaching greatness and delivering exceptional outcomes in your work.
As a team player, you are not afraid of reaching out to your colleagues to discuss development challenges, especially when you are stuck trying to solve a specific issue.
You are fluent in English.
You will become part of our core back-end team reporting to our Engineering Manager and responsible for the systems that tie everything together into a production environment for our customers. The main focus of the role is to develop and scale our core cloud-based processing service, which includes our OCR technology, extracting data from various sources into databases, generating datasets for machine learning and structuring communication with our AI models.
We mainly develop in and use
- AWS (EC2, RDS, KMS, SNS, etc)
- Docker + Kubernetes + Rancher
extensively throughout our platform, so advance knowledge of these is highly preferred.
In addition, our technology stack includes the following components, knowledge of which is desired:
- Elixir + Phoenix
- Angular.io / TypeScript
- Tesseract + Textract
Key areas of responsibility
- You will own the data pipelines that feed and interact with our AI models! You will build them, monitor them, scale them.
- Our AI eats large amounts of data. You will work closely with our AI team to set up scalable data storage solutions, for managing our datasets.
- As part of continuous improvement take ownership of relevant system components to improve functionality, stability and/or capability
Bachelor or Master’s Degree in Computer Engineering, Computer Science, Statistics, or similar studies
- Experience (3+ years) with Python, including extensive experience with Pandas.
- Experience operating, scaling, and optimizing databases and storage systems on the cloud. Strong AWS experience preferred
- You know that deploying software is as much about the environment as it is about the code: experience with docker, unit testing, Ci systems (TravisCi or CircleCi preferred), performance monitoring, log monitoring, and security
What we offer
- An exciting work environment operating at the forefront of AI technology development
- A company full of talented, curious, and friendly people
- A competitive compensation package
- Company-paid benefits for employees such as medical, dental, vision, disability, and life insurance
- The opportunity to work fully remotely
- Flexible time schedules
- A workstation and tools of your choice