Viam is building a new platform to make robotics more approachable to engineers of all backgrounds, empowering thousands of startups to achieve their robotic visions. We're taking on the hard software challenges, enabling engineers to build modular, practical robots efficiently and cost effectively. We're working on integrating hardware and software in new ways, giving engineers much greater abilities to accomplish their goals. At the same time, we're trying to increase the pace of innovation by bringing costs down tremendously.
Viam's products are built by engineers, for engineers. We want to build a platform we would want to use ourselves, which is setting a high bar. This requires a high quality experience weaved throughout the stack. As an engineer, you will be integral not to just building out high quality, robust software, but to creating the future of robots.
As an Electrical Engineer you will be responsible for:
- Deep understanding of electrical engineering principles in both analog and digital domains with the ability to use this understanding to quickly isolate circuit faults
- Schematic design of new and innovative projects
- PCB layout and assembly
- Design test and verification methods and capabilities for electronics and electrical and system integration
- Analyze the hardware and firmware within the robotic space
- Participate in hardware and firmware design reviews
- Provide design know-how for external vendors and supplier development
- Support other groups during the integration of hardware, firmware, and software
- Working on the first set of products which will define the nature of our platform
- Developing new and innovative robotic sensors and motor controllers
- Technical report writing.
We're looking for someone who:
- Bachelor of Science or higher in Electrical or Computer Engineering.
- 5+ years of electrical design industry experience
- Has an affinity to hard complex problems, and loves solving them with practical solutions
- Wants to make our user’s lives easier by making their work more efficient
- Is excited to approach new technologies and open-ended problems
- Believes in high-quality, tested, and well-documented hardware
- High proficiency in CAD (Altium preferred)
- Ability to work independently with minimum direct supervision.
- Good understanding of motor controllers & control systems
- Good understanding of power supplies, PoE, & tactile sensing
- Experience with camera board designs
- High-speed mixed signal circuit design
- Experience bringing a product to market
- Experience with signal integrity analysis and simulation
- Experience with analog, digital, and/or mixed-signal circuit design/analysis or hardware integration/test.
- Hardware/software integration and troubleshooting experience.
- Familiarity with high-speed test equipment; oscilloscopes, data acquisition units, DMMs, logic & spectrum analyzers - solid test & troubleshooting skills
Preferred, but not critical qualifications:
- Familiarity with Golang, Python, C++
- Experience with firmware
- Understanding of Control Theory.
- Experience working in a startup environment.
- Significant experience in robotics
- Demonstrated ability to thrive in a fast-paced research and development environment.
- Candidates who reside locally