You will notice that this role is posted in London, Paris, Amsterdam and Berlin: there is one single job opening within our EMEA team and any of these cities is a good location for our future team member.
Via is using technology to transform transportation around the world. From changing a single person’s daily commute to reducing humanity’s collective environmental footprint — we’ve got huge goals. Our 500+ partnerships worldwide include new mobility solutions for people with disabilities, improved services for senior citizens, reduction of congestion at work sites, and improving public transit between suburban areas and city centers, just to name a few.
As a Privacy and Commercial Counsel, you will lead the development of our privacy programs, collaborate to further build global guidelines and playbooks, engage in complex privacy-related contractual negotiations and act as an escalation point for other members of the legal team on challenging data protection and privacy matters. While privacy and data protection will be your main focus, you will also use your sound business and legal judgment to guide our commercial teams so we can pursue our growth. This is a senior role reporting into the General Counsel, EMEA in which you will interact with some of our most senior executives across the organization.
What You’ll Do:
- Lead on strategic aspects of privacy laws and their applicability to Via’s operations and commercial agreements
- Advise on key privacy and data protection risks and devise effective risk minimisation strategies and compliance initiatives
- Advise on, and negotiate, complex data protection/privacy provisions within major commercial agreements
- Working closely with members of the global Legal team, further develop privacy templates and playbooks for commercial transactions globally, and act as a source of expertise for privacy and data protection issues in the team
- Collaborate across the Legal, Security, Business and Engineering teams to design and implement enhancements to our global privacy compliance program, to embed global privacy best practices, standards and guidance, as well as to manage incident response processes
- Monitor and strategically advise on developments in data protection and information security, including new laws, regulations, key judgements, regulatory guidance
- Draft, review, and negotiate a fast-growing pipeline of complex and innovative SaaS (Software as a Service) and related agreements, with a wide variety of public and private sector customers
- Actively help the legal team scale and increase efficiency across geographies
Who You Are:
- 6+ years of experience at a top-tier law firm, or in-house, or a combination of the two
- Experience advising on privacy and data protection, with an understanding of key global privacy regimes, in particular in Europe
- Experience negotiating complex commercial contracts
- Strong drafting, negotiation, analysis and critical thinking skills as well as commercial acumen
- Fully fluent and able to draft contracts in English
- Qualified lawyer in the UK or in an EU jurisdiction or significant experience working as a lawyer these jurisdictions
You do not need to have any of the following to apply but, if you do, your application will stand out to us:
- CIPP qualification
- Fully fluent and able to draft contracts in French or in any of the following languages: Dutch, Spanish, Italian, and German
- Experience as in-house counsel and/or with startups
- Smart: We dive head first into the most challenging problems and design creative, intelligent solutions — on our customers’ behalf.
- Human: We are relatable, warm, friendly, and occasionally vulnerable. We are always trying our best to do the most good for people and the planet. When we mess up, we own it, apologize, and keep it moving.
- Shared: Beyond rides, we have a culture of sharing. That means knowledge, ideas, tasks, resources are all a communal experience. We are an empathetic group; we are on this ride together.
We’re Via, and we build technology that changes the way the world moves. We pioneered the TransitTech category to ensure that the future of transportation is shared, dynamic public mobility — the kind that reduces carbon emissions across congested cities, minimizes reliance on private cars, and provides everyone with accessible, efficient, and affordable ways of getting around.
With the addition of Remix into our portfolio, we created the first end-to-end TransitTech solution for cities and transit agencies, offering world-class software, service design, and operational expertise to fundamentally improve the way the world moves.
Via was founded with the guiding principle that we go further when we go together. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles. All backgrounds, identities, and voices are welcomed and celebrated at Via.
Ready to join the ride?
Via is an equal opportunity employer.