As Trainee Lawyer / Rechtsreferendar and member of our in-house Legal team, you will report to the European Legal Counsel for Via, you will be working closely with lawyers in Berlin, London, and Tel Aviv as well as with Via’s legal team in New York. This is a unique opportunity for someone interested in gaining hands-on exposure to all aspects of in-house legal work at a fast-growing startup.
What You'll Do:
- Prepare, review, and negotiate contracts (e.g., NDAs, SaaS agreements, vendor contracts, engagement letters)
- Support Via’s internal compliance and corporate governance with a particular focus on GDPR compliance
- Conduct legal research and review/apply industry laws and regulatory developments, including procurement laws, relevant transportation laws (e.g. Personenbeförderungsgesetz), intellectual property and the gig economy
- Provide ongoing legal support on the active services of Via across the DACH region
- Work directly with and provide advice to all members of the Legal team, including the General Counsel EMEA, on a variety of legal matters including but not limited to transportation regulation compliance, the continued development of organizational safety standards and practices, and data security and compliance
- Serve as a co-recipient of legal requests from other teams at Via across the globe and take ownership of requests as required
Who You Are:
- First German State Exam with a high level of academic achievement
- Previous experience working in a legal practice or in-house legal team where contract work and review and regulatory research, including GDPR, were primary focuses
- Conscientious, meticulous and vigilant, with a keen attention to detail
- Strong communication and organizational skills with the ability to effectively manage competing priorities
- Interested in the changing regulatory landscape of the mobility industry
- High-energy and enjoy working autonomously; excited by start-up culture, workspace, and development
- Fluent in German and English
What Catches Our Eye:
- Experience at a law firm, in-house legal department, or a combination of the two
- Experience with startups
- Advanced knowledge of the European data protection laws, ideally experience in implementing and maintaining GDPR compliance programs
- Ability to review and negotiate contracts in French, Spanish, or Italian
We’re Via, and we build technology that changes the way the world moves. We pioneered the TransitTech category to ensure that the future of transportation is shared, dynamic public mobility — the kind that reduces carbon emissions across congested cities, minimizes reliance on private cars, and provides everyone with accessible, efficient, and affordable ways of getting around.
With the addition of Remix into our portfolio, we created the first end-to-end TransitTech solution for cities and transit agencies, offering world-class software, service design, and operational expertise to fundamentally improve the way the world moves.
We’re committed to building and nurturing a team as diverse as the communities we serve. Bringing transportation equity to the world begins with championing equal opportunity in our own offices. All backgrounds, identities, and voices are welcomed and celebrated here.
Ready to join the ride?
Via is an equal opportunities employer.