Via is looking for an exceptional lawyer to join us as we look to rapidly grow our business domestically and internationally and prepare to launch new cities around the world. As Commercial Counsel, you will be join our dynamic and growing Legal Department, with a particular focus on complex revenue-generating commercial contracts. You will work closely with all members of the legal team, gaining hands-on exposure to all aspects of in-house legal work at a fast-growing startup.
What You'll Do:
- As a legal contact for our Partnerships team, you will manage multiple deals and support colleagues in the U.S. and internationally, with sound business and legal judgment and a clear sense of company priorities.
- Draft, review and negotiate a fast-growing pipeline of complex SaaS (Software as a Service) contracts, including some with robust add-on transit tech services, with a wide variety of domestic and international, public and private sector customers.
- Manage contractual relationships with vendors.
- Ensure and track compliance with GDPR, CCPA and other data privacy laws through oversight of Data Protection Agreements with vendors.
- Respond to inquiries on contract interpretation and compliance.
- Work on various contractual matters with cross-disciplinary teams from Finance, Business Development, Operations, Growth and Communications, and advise on relevant legal issues and risks, complex agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures.
- Assist on various strategic corporate transactions, including any potential M&A activity or financing transactions.
- Provide general legal support to our global business on an as-needed basis.
Who You Are:
- Practicing lawyer with impressive track record of academic achievement
- Meticulous and vigilant, with a keen attention to detail
- Willing to wear multiple hats and work on contracts of all types
- Team player who works well cross-functionally
- High-energy and enjoy working autonomously
- Outstanding contract drafter and negotiator
- Business-minded (you will negotiate business as well as legal issues)
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills
What Catches Our Eye:
- 3-6 years experience at a law firm, in-house legal department or a combination of the two, including significant transactional experience
- In-house legal experience strongly preferred; experience with startups is a bonus but not required
- Substantive expertise in corporate and tech transactions preferred
- Ability to review and negotiate contracts in French or Japanese is a major bonus
We’re Via, and we build technology that changes the way the world moves. We pioneered the TransitTech category to ensure that the future of transportation is shared, dynamic public mobility — the kind that reduces carbon emissions across congested cities, minimizes reliance on private cars, and provides everyone with accessible, efficient, and affordable ways of getting around.
With the addition of Remix into our portfolio, we created the first end-to-end TransitTech solution for cities and transit agencies, offering world-class software, service design, and operational expertise to fundamentally improve the way the world moves.
We’re committed to building and nurturing a team as diverse as the communities we serve. Bringing transportation equity to the world begins with championing equal opportunity in our own offices. All backgrounds, identities, and voices are welcomed and celebrated here.
Ready to join the ride?
Via is an equal opportunity employer.