ViaVan is looking for an exceptionally smart and motivated lawyer to join its legal team as we look to grow our business rapidly in Europe and continue to launch new cities around the world.
As Commercial Counsel, you will be the third full-time lawyer to join our dynamic and growing Legal team headquartered in Europe, and the first to focus specifically on complex new commercial contracts with our public and private sector partners. You will report to the Head of Legal for ViaVan and will work closely with lawyers in London, Berlin, and New York, gaining hands-on exposure to all aspects of in-house legal work at a fast-growing startup.
Responsibilities and Duties
- As a legal contact for our Partnerships team, you will manage multiple deals and support colleagues across Europe, with sound business and legal judgment and a clear sense of company priorities.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a fast-growing pipeline of complex SaaS (Software-as-a-Service)/TaaS (Transportation-as-a-Service) contracts with a wide variety of domestic and international, public, and private sector customers.
- Manage contractual relationships with vendors.
- Oversee and streamline our contracting processes in Europe and build templates and standard forms where needed, working closely with colleagues in the New York legal team.
- Build relations with sales and operational teams.
- Advise on aspects of data protection laws and contracting strategy.
- Work on various contractual matters with cross-disciplinary teams from Finance, Business Development, Operations, Growth, and Communications and advise on relevant legal issues and risks, complex agreement structures, approval processes, and company policies and procedures.
- Provide general legal support to our global business on an as-needed basis.
- Outstanding contract drafter and negotiator
- Fully fluent reading/writing/speaking/contract drafting capabilities in English is required, other European languages a plus
- Fully qualified lawyer in an EU jurisdiction (preferably UK-qualified)
- 5+ years experience at a top law firm, in-house legal department or a combination of the two, including significant experience working on commercial transactions in Europe
- Meticulous and vigilant, with a keen attention to detail
- Willing to wear multiple hats and work on contracts of all types
- High-energy and enjoy working autonomously
- Business-minded (you will negotiate business as well as legal issues)
- Excellent analytical and critical thinking skills
- An innovative thinker with the ability to devise creative and practical solutions to address challenges
- Comfortable working directly with senior business colleagues
- Interested in the changing regulatory landscape of the on-demand transportation industry
- Excited by start-up culture, workspace, and development
- Experience in-house and/or with startups is a bonus but not required
- Substantive expertise in tech transactions and procurement preferred
- Graduate from a top-tier university
At ViaVan, we're on the cutting edge of mobility. A joint venture between Via, the world's leading developer and provider of on-demand mass transit technology, and Daimler (Mercedes-Benz), the world's preeminent automotive company, ViaVan is transforming the way people get around. From on-demand buses in London to the world's largest publicly operated electric shuttle fleet in Berlin, ViaVan's sophisticated mobility operating system is powering transportation in Europe's biggest cities and is sought after by prominent transportation players across the continent. We've provided more than 6 million shared rides since our launch in 2017, and we're growing at an astonishing rate. We have offices in London, Berlin, and Amsterdam, projects in over 20 markets, and a goal of hundreds of deployments within the next two years. If you're someone who relishes wearing multiple hats, is passionate about building the next generation of mobility technology, and never backs down from a challenge, we want to hear from you!
ViaVan offers above market compensation packages and benefits. ViaVan is an equal opportunity employer.